Where did we get the word “JUDO” from?

media_179e3f3e30fa4d63b60249b40834d232_t607Hello my dear students! Today I have some brain-teasers for you. Tell me: What sport is also science and art? Any ideas? Well, how about this one: What form of combat is the gentle way?
The answer to both questions is Judo! Confused? Well, I suspect that the word origin holds the answer. Let’s investigate!

Click the video to find out!

241 Responses to Where did we get the word “JUDO” from?

1. l-p-r says:

It originates in the Greek word euangelion, …word request:Protest/proTest…the angel tested her deviled brother!

:-)
    Finish the sentence “It’s sexy when a girl’s wearing….on her head”…from the hot host her self from… https://www.facebook.com/Pupciki?ref=hl

2. Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later.

— Fredrick Brooks, author of The Mythical Man-Month

3. Bumper sticker seen yesterday: “This is NOT an abandoned vehicle.”
    (Bumper stickers are only one notch above the weather.)

4. Balmy summer weather. No hurricanes here.

(When we are reduced to discussing the wx, you know the site is in the crapper.)

5. Anonymous says:

time to drag this thread away from the disgraceful intellectual gutter ..

Nancy Sinatra:

6. Anonymous says:

OK, gotta come back for one last post, ’cause this is too good.
    Camp Kohler – Sacto CA you may like this…

Origin of {ballbuster}

In Hebrew the basic term for a homeowner is “ba’al ha-bayith”, with the connotation of a middle-class, bourgeois townsperson in traditional Jewish texts and in the Yiddish language (pronounced “baalabus” in Yiddish, pl. “baalei-batim”). A feminine version of the term in Hebrew, “ba’alat ha-bayith”, means “the woman of the house”, and traditionally had the connotation of a strong, even dominant, woman, who maintains the household in an effective and result-oriented manner, the Yiddish version of the term being “baalabusta”.

7. Anonymous says:

English as its own language barrier:
    Two Ronnies — Fork Handles

8. l-p-r says:

..something new..

hotforwords Painting with feet in my bikini! My new passion! Check this out youtu.be/nySihik8gfo

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySihik8gfo&feature=plcp Walking on a rainbow

Blue Iguanas have rebounded – no longer critically endangered!

9. l-p-r says:
    hotforwords I want to be invisible
    word request: water

ICE/sNOw

Iceland

10. When word origins are tracked down to some Greek or Latin, they stop there. But how did they, get it? I mean, finish the job.

11. From the Tweeple insert: “New Plus-Size Model Magazine Aims to End Body Shaming.”

Fat lot of good that will do

12. I was down at the county recorder’s office yesterday, and while there I used the county free Wifi that floods the building. When I tried to go to HFW, an error message said, without any words of explanation, that that site was not allowed on their network. What do you think of that?

13. l-p-r says:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulfberht swords
    One word, “Ulfberht,” is inlaid on the sword’s blade.
    On the reverse side of the blade is a crossed T.
    Why “Ulfberht”?

14. Anonymous says:

The scholar and his cat, Pangur Bán

(from the Irish by Robin Flower)

I and Pangur Ban my cat,
    ‘Tis a like task we are at:
    Hunting mice is his delight,
    Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than praise of men
    ‘Tis to sit with book and pen;
    Pangur bears me no ill-will,
    He too plies his simple skill.

‘Tis a merry task to see
    At our tasks how glad are we,
    When at home we sit and find
    Entertainment to our mind.

Oftentimes a mouse will stray
    In the hero Pangur’s way;
    Oftentimes my keen thought set
    Takes a meaning in its net.

‘Gainst the wall he sets his eye
    Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
    ‘Gainst the wall of knowledge I
    All my little wisdom try.

When a mouse darts from its den,
    O how glad is Pangur then!
    O what gladness do I prove
    When I solve the doubts I love!

So in peace our task we ply,
    Pangur Ban, my cat, and I;
    In our arts we find our bliss,
    I have mine and he has his.

Practice every day has made
    Pangur perfect in his trade;
    I get wisdom day and night
    Turning darkness into light.

15. Re: linking to Google Maps and Streetview, I found this forum post about some of the secrets. I am particularly keen on the cbp parameter, which might allow you to point the SV camera in any desired manner. Let’s hope I can figure it out.

Meanwhile, I found this link, maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.645638,17.841368&spn=0.052674,0.080887 to the place where I spent 1-1/2 years while in the U.S.A.F. in 1965. Then by substituting the simpler zoom (z) parameter for the complicated lat/long span (spn) parameter* as follows: maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.645638,17.841368&z=16, it will zoom in order to see the L-shaped building where I worked using the FLR-9 “elephant cage” antenna system. The remnants can be seen as a large circular scar on the landscape. (The U.S, government document offering to swap labor to tear it down and cart it off in return for the scrap metal still exists on the Web. One FLR-9 currently exists at Elmendorf and this is it. )

You can construct a link to any place in the world as follows (the parameters are case sensitive!):
    URL: https://maps.google.‌com/maps followed by
    Latitude & Longitude Parameter: ?ll=SN.NNNNNN,SN.NNNNNN where S is the minus sign of the lat./long. (omit if positive [E of London or S of the equator]; do not use the plus sign) and N is the lat./long. in degrees, followed by any of these options:
    Map Type Parameter: &t=T, where T is m for map, k for satellite image (default) or h for hybrid (satellite with labels).
    Zoom Parameter: &z=Z, where Z is 1 – 22** (min – max; default is 18).

To obtain the lat./long., find the place on the map or satellite view, right-click the spot and click What’s here?
    —-
    *One wonders why the span parameter is used when there is a spiffy zoom parameter.
    **If you zoom below the altitude at which Google has data for the area, no pix is seen, so test it before publishing.

PS: Notice how easy it is to see the links above. It’s just like the real Internet

16. Anonymous says:

current(ish) value of $ = 1.2004 mm diameter sphere of gold

17. Anonymous says:

@liTTlepuSSyleo:disqus
    So I got lost running the trails on Chuckanut Mountain last night — over an hour of jogging in the deepening dusk until I found my way out. Old age isn’t for wimps. Which reminds me…

Origin of Chuckanut
    In the early days of Bellingham, Washington, the white immigrants observed the “elip tillicum” holding filbert-tossing contests on the cliffs of the mountain south of town, seeing who could throw them farthest out into the bay. Hence the name Chuck-a-nut Mountain.
    There you go, another mystery compounded by your dubious LossForWords.

18. Anonymous says:

***Back to the lesson: Martial Arts***

Pencak-Silat (Indonesia)
    Krav maga (Israel)
    Muay Thai (Thailand)
    Taekwondo (Korea / Hankuk)
    Karate (Isshin ryu) (Japan)
    Judo (Japan)
    Kung fu (China)
    aikido (Japan)
    capoeira (Brazil)
    Irish fist fight (never mind)

19. Anonymous says:

20 things worth knowing about Beer!

20. Anonymous says:

Marina’s new YouTube video
    How long until it gets posted over here?

21. Anonymous says:

new post from one of my favorite YouTube places:

Keiser Report: Boom & Bust Vicious Cycle (E346)

22. Streetview Follies

130 Seaspray Ave Palm Beach FL, 5:00: From the TV show, City Confidential, this was the site of the 1996 Pucillo murder that rocked the tony seaside homes and vacation homes of the rich and famous. Notice that a block or more of the street to the west of the victim’s house (which house is clearly visible) is not covered by Streetview, unlike the rest of Palm Beach; if you attempt to advance to the west, Streetview jumps over that stretch. How come? Does some high mucky-muck have a friend at Google?

23. Streetview Follies

1) 5391* Arnold Ave McClellan Ca and then advance one frame north. At 2:30 is the original 1937 art-deco HQ building, now used for rental office space. It was replaced by a much bigger building in the ’50s. At 9:00 is the flagpole and a grassy mall for show (too small for parades).

2) 1290 10th St Sacramento Ca. At 8:00: State Capitol. At 5:00: target in site.

—-
    *True address is 5241 as you can see by the numbers on the building, but Google’s a little off.

24. Everyone: Please stop using HFW so much. You are overloading the servers and smoke is pouring out of them. OMG! The computer room is on fire! Also there is an echo in here in here in here.

What a sad state of affairs.

25. Anonymous says:

current(ish) value of $ = 17.58 milligrams gold

@ gold density 19.3 [ g / cm^3] = 19.3 [ milligrams / mm^3 ]

$ = 0.911 [mm^3 gold]

ie. $ = sphere of gold 1.2 mm diameter

26. Streetview Follies

Go to 10472 Kerwick Ct Remindersville OH, 1:30. Zoom in beyond the garbage can and you will see a gussied-up hottie named Arlene mowing her lawn. This was all figured out from online sources from my armchair! I have met Big Brother and it is me.

Dear Marina, Thanks for posting so many recent photos of yourself in Malibu and other sites in California. Your photo in the blue bikini was gorgeous. After I run my errands tomorrow, I plan to have a big lunch at a Carl’s Jr. restaurant. I don’t do this often because my waistline is too big, but it’s nice as an occasional treat. SeesixCM6

28. Anonymous says:

Judo: matzoh?

29. Find something in your area (or somewhere in the world) that is interesting/odd to see on Google Streetview and post the street/crossstreet (or other exact description to place Pegman) and direction (use clock position from the north) so that we can see it. This might be valid, of course, only until the next update wipes it.

Exact corner of Happy Ln/Kiefer Blvd, Sacramento, CA: at 6:30 is a cross where someone bit the Big Weenie; at 1:00 is an electric pole that someone smashed into so hard that they knocked a 3-inch-thick slab off one side (severing the light-colored ground wire) and splintered the pole. This less-than-right-angled corner is out in the middle of loneliness, and evidently speeders don’t always make it around in one piece.

• Anonymous says:

They were probably following the Google map that says Kiefer Blvd extends through that barbed-wire fence and into the field beyond.

• If they had the presence of mind to consult a map, they probably wouldn’t have been fooled by it. But by jangies, you’re right about the map’s route! I’ll submit a correction tonight.
        PS: Happy Lane is a misnomer, isn’t it, at least for a couple of people?

Actually, if you look at the dirt bypass around the subject corner, it looks like they were doing some construction project. All of the area to the right of Happy Ln (except for a few small parcels) is the former Mather AFB.

OK, Evan, now give us something in your area. A dead body facedown in a dictch, the annual naked-ladies-who-are-too-ugly-to-ever-go-naked parade, or whatever.

• Anonymous says:

OK, I’ll play:
          Google street view:
          I can’t immediately come up with anything weird in Bellingham (“The City of Subdued Excitement”), but there’s a nice view of Mount Shuksan from the west side of Picture Lake in Whatcom County.

For peculiar sights: reaching further back into my past, there are the animals on the castle wall at Castle Street in Caerdydd (Cardiff).

Technical matter: I can’t figure out how to post a URL that will take you directly to these locations, so you’ll have to do what I did with your description and do a Google map search.

• Anonymous says:

The Bellingham rain is there a-purpose, to slow the rate at which we get overrun by Californians.

The tower you mention is that of the Whatcom Museum, once the Bellingham City Hall, now housing such things as antique logging equipment. (“He’s a Lumberjack and he’s OK, sleeps all night and he works all day!” according to Monty Python.)

Re the animals on the castle wall: Try entering “Castle Street Cardiff”. You’ll see a green area to the east of River Taff. Cowbridge Road becomes Castle Street (which may display as Heol Castell in some views) east of the river and south of the castle. The castle wall in question borders the north side of Castle Street.

Cardiff Castle animals 1
              Cardiff Castle animals 2
              Cardiff Castle animals 3
              Cardiff Castle animals 4
              Cardiff Castle animals 5

Hwyl,
              Evan

• It looks like that rain thing is working out well for you! Seriously, I lived in Vancouver for 1.5 yrs in the 3rd/4th grade, so I know the climate.

We lived in a very old WWII splinter city called McLaughlin Heights, east of town. The houses were so crappy they were starting to be demolished when we left. Everything has been torn down and rebuilt anew. If you go to the west end of Manzanita Ct, Vancouver WA at 11:00, you will see the nice, modern home that replaced ours. It is the fifth home, numbered clockwise from the beginning of the court at 4:00. The reason I mention that is that it used to be called E 49th St and our house was 1212I, with the court starting with 1212A. So our house was ninth from the beginning, to give you an idea how cracker-box they were. You could litteraly look through cracks in the wall to the outside.

If you look north, behind the house, you see a row of lots on E 13th. When I lived there, there was a second court from E 13th to the front (N side) of our house. So we were betrween two courts. But we only used the back door, since that’s where the driveway was located. We never went or played on the other court for some reason (parallel universe fears?) As you can see, there is no trace of that court now.

I went back there on business in the ’80s and visited the court. The little park west of the court was no longer the huge, monstrous vacant lot that was home to four huge, monstrous bolted-together wooden water towers that fed the Heights. They would run the water until it spilled over, misting the neighborhood (like we didn’t have enough rain). They were replaced by a single modern steel tank now in the middle of the Heights.

So while I was growing up in Texas, D.C. and Sacramento, it all shrank, possibly owing to the excessive moisture in the region. And the streets were renamed and the houses renumbered, which was probably not moisture related.

• Anonymous says:

I had cousins on my mother’s side who lived in Vancouver WA in the 50s and 60s, so have some vague memories of the town.
                  Now, of course, “Vancouver” means the Canadian [megalopolis] whose lights we see in the northwest after sundown.
                  WR: Canuck
                  Hey Marina, what did you think of Capilano Bridge? (Do you still read our comments? :-D )

• Finally found Castle St, which label is seen only at lower altitudes. You sent me on a wild goose chase of sorts. I searched all over that castle, but couldn’t find any animals. Finally I had to research it and found that the wall with the animals is not attached to the castle at all, it was moved to the west of the castle in front of the adjacent Bute Park during a street widening (of which there was no mention in all the hand-written ancient texts in my library). A good description for Streetviewing is “on Castle St, between the canal on the west and Westgate St on the east at 12:00,” you rascal you.
                Now I have some questions about the castle:
                1. What are the purplish squares with wishbone patterns near the top of the wall on the outside W portion of the castle.
                2. Are visitors allowed to enter the keep? It must be like looking up inside an old nuclear cooling tower.
                3. Inside the moat, what is the round thing over the road leading to the keep at 5:00 from the center of the keep?
                4. What is the 8′ white round thing next to a path 280′ from the center of the keep at 4:00?
                5. Just NW of the said white thing is a 50′ x 130′ rectangle of grass oriented NNW-SSE. What is it?
                6. What is the 8′ circle of bare ground outside the moat at 5:30 from the center of the keep?
                7. Where is the castle’s water supply located?
                I am surprised that the animals are so low to the ground. Any nut with a hammer could do some real damage.
                Too bad a Streetview cam can’t go in there.

• Anonymous says:

1. The purplish squares are shutters over fenestrations in the castle wall. You open them to shoot arrows, close them to block arrows being shot at you.
                  2. They weren’t allowing people in the old Norman keep when I was there. I wouldn’t want to be kept there, anyway.
                  3 – 6 Blimey, it’s been 18 years since I’ve been there, how should I remember? Try Gwefan Swyddogol Castell Caerdydd for answers, & look for the “English” button on the upper right.
                  7. Yr Afon Taf (River Taff) is the likely source, historically. Hence the nickname “Taff” for a Welshman.

The old Norman keep, dating from the 1100s or 1200s, is built on the foundations of a Roman fort from around 50 AD. The “Car” or “Caer” in Cardiff / Caerdydd is a contraction of the Latin castra, a fortified camp. (Also seen in the placenames Lancaster, Worcestershire, Chester, etc.)

WR: [Cambrian] [cambric]

• Maybe the keep would be just fine if the alternative was to look and feel like a pin cushion!
                    In the good ol’ days of electronics, we used varnished cambric, which was a kind of stiffened fabric as electrical insulation. It was in the shape of tubing and less often in sheets. It has largely been replaced by plastics, e.g. shrink tubing, fiberglass sheets, etc. Of course we had no idea (and still don;t) what cambric meant. But it has a nice sound to it: “TURN UP THE VOLTAGE ME BOYS AND DON’T SPARE THE CAMBRIC!” Huh?

• That’s how you do it. Of course, you should describe things to a degree that the reader will land on the same photo frame you are looking at. For example, give an intersection or describe a landmark as a reference (a particular building, etc.) or best, a steet address.

If you enter a street address, Google will show at the left a reduced photo of Steetview if available. If you click the photo, it goes into Streetview on the same frame and you have the same exact view (vs. trying to put Pegman down accurately).

And don’t forget the direction of view! We have 360° to look around in.

Just to show you how easy it is, I tried Bellingham. I learned two things right off: 1) It is dark and dismal and they never heard of sunshine, which makes it hard to see things in photos, and 2) there are huge gaps in Streetview coverage in the downtown area. Why? I’d ask for my money back!

Well, I did find something interesting. Go to 581 W Holly St and look at 4:00. There is some kind of a tower with what looks to be a searchlight. What is that?

I tried Castle St and I landed in Cardiff, so it knew it, but I don’t see the name Castle in the street labels. So I can’t find it. See what you can do about pinpointing the location for me.

PS: I am going to suggest to Google that they devise some way for us to link to a particular Streetview frame. Obviously all the pix have numbers, so it should be possible. Such a link might break when the pix are refreshed, because the camera won’t be at the exact same spot. As they know the GPS coordinates for every pix, maybe that would do it and any old link would find the new frame closest to the one given in the link..It’s worth a shot.

• Anonymous says:

“…bit the Big Weenie”: that reminds me of a word lesson:
      Euphemism

30. Anonymous says:

Three men went a-hunting
    And something they did find
    They came upon a porcupine
    And that they left behind
    The Englishman said “porcupine”
    And the Scotsman he said nay
    The Welshman said it’s a pin cushion
    With the pins stuck in the wrong way

• There must be something of great import in that ditty, but I can’t quite make it out.

• Anonymous says:

@mijj
        Nah, it’s just a song about ethnic stereotypes: straightforward Englishman, dour Scotsman, and imaginative Welshman (in some versions, an Irishman.)

Sorta like the story of the British fellow who died with the final wish that each of his friends leave £5 in his coffin.
        John Smith leaves a £5 note in the coffin.
        Dafydd Evans borrows £5 from Smith and drops it in the coffin.
        Angus MacDonald looks at the two £5 notes, thinks a moment, then makes out a cheque for £15 and pockets the £10 as change.
        On receiving his next bank statement, MacDonald discovers the cheque has cleared. The endorsement on the back reads: “Make payable to Sean O’Brien, Undertaker.”

31. Anonymous says:

the value of the $ is currently approx 17.61 milligrams of gold

• Anonymous says:

Since when did the Brits start using froggy weights?
      I calculate that at .27 grains.

• Anonymous says:

good point … (not sure you calcualte

ok .. playing round with this strand ..
        (long story short: the $ = 17.61 milligrams gold= 5 mites, 10 droits and 9 perits of gold)
        if using the troy system, it goes agains the “grain” (hahahaha) to use decimal fractions. The troy weight system invites thinking in terms of adding types of weight to a scale.
        These are the weights in the troy system:
        troy pound = 12 * troy ounce = 20 * pennyweight (note: 240 * pennyweight = 1 troy pound. Is why in old money we had 240 pence to the £) = 24 * grain
        (troy mint weights ..)= 20 * mite = 24 * droit = 20 * perit = 24 * blank
        ….
        so .. using gold as the reference against which the $ (etc) is measured, it’d be better to avoid being in sub-unit territory and have the weight unit as the “mite”. (Where 24 mites = 1 grain)
        1 troy ounce = 480 * 20 mites = 9600 mites
        ie. for the $ = 17.61 milligrams gold
        $ = 5.4353 mites of gold
        Using the troy weight system and thinking in terms of adding weight types to a scale …
        so, assuming $ = 17.61 milligrams gold$ = 5 mites, 10 droits and 9 perits of gold (rounding to the nearest perit)

(ta daaaaa!)
        ========================================================

• Anonymous says:

ps ..

“The origin of the troy weight system is unknown. Though the name probably comes from the Champagne fairs at Troyes, in northeastern France, the units themselves are probably of more northern origin. English troy weights were apparently derived from the nearly identical troy weight system of Bremen. (The Bremen troy ounce had a mass of 480.8 British Imperial grains.)

• Anonymous says:

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
      And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
      But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
      To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
      Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
      The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.

32. Anonymous says:

hey hey it’s another day!

33. Anonymous says:

Well well. @leoNard is first to post, & I’m second, just like the old days.

Brain teaser: does the “do” in tae kwon do come from the same root as the “do” in judo? I.e. did both Korean and Japanese borrow these from Chinese? And why are these three major and adjacent Asian languages so unrelated to each other? And how did we start calling Korea by that name when Koreans call their country “Hankuk”?

Somewhere I read that “Korea” was a Japanese attempt to pronounce kao li, “high and beautiful,” the Chinese name for the country; but the Japanese (according to my daughter) call it “Kankuko.”

34. l-p-r says:

BrAIN tEAsIng…soul gentle are the reigns of Marina…fite/fight…sporty! …physical!