Nerd Word of the Day: Post-PC

Post-PC:
1 – adj - used to describe a device that is dedicated to a specific application in contrast to a general-purpose computer

2 – adj – used to describe the reason why the iPad does not have a keyboard, or run Flash, or have a USB port.. and stop running benchmarks comparing it to a PC, it’s not a PC damn-it.. it’s a “POST-PC” device which means that it is what I decide it is and it will have whatever peripherals I decide a “post-pc” device should have, until next year rolls around at which point I will add another peripheral so that you will have to upgrade, and I will repeat the process each year until it ends up with all the same peripherals and functionality that a PC has today, but by that time I will have come up with another term to describe this device. Perhaps I’ll call it a… PC?

Wow.. what an odd definition!

Click here for more nerd words.

61 Responses to Nerd Word of the Day: Post-PC

1. Anonymous says:

Yes, it was someone’s euphanism for the term originally used in that movie that was substituted in the sanitized TV version.

2. Anonymous says:

I think new generation want to use new type of word and grow them
    personally. it shows absurd, but it it’s doing. they can use some
    appropriate nerd word as progressive.

3. TravisJones says:

@@@@ its only technology and main thing is it’s crated by human. nice work by man.

4. Aciinsels leon says:

5. Chris Miller says:

I guess I’m just laughing cause I’m envy it didn’t occur to me first this idea :) Funny and still interesting point of view. I’ll take a look at your other posts as well.

6. Michelle says:

I’ve never thought about it this way, but your point is quite catchy! Interesting perspective :)

7. The Post-pc which is very good for personal use. It also provide extra felicities. This PC which we used for general purpose.

8. Anonymous says:

It is very Funny and Amazing Picture.

9. Mickey Habiby says:

So amazing! Finally i
    find the useful article here. Thanks for your sharing, i will watch your more
    blogs next time here. free
    live chat software

• LeoNaRD says:

Sex sells/cells:  ask Marina; how about tales from a tailgate pArty!  …nerds smell of nard and wash my talking feats/feet!

________________________________

10. Excellent article I must say.. Simple but really entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the good work!

11. Anonymous says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it looks like some accounts, even the HotForWords account, got “pwned”
    by hackers. I don’t know what is going here and maybe it is better not
    to know. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Anonymous says:

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}}{}{}{}}}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{The construction team takes a continuous copper wire and wraps it around all the working parts of the Scioto Mile fountains ..!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Mehtab Alam says:

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it . I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff on your post..

14. Mehtab Alam says:

15. jamesbuck says:

I think new generation want to use new type of word and grow them personally. it shows absurd, but it it’s doing. they can use some appropriate nerd word as progressive.

16. micbuckley says:

it’s so interesting feature, really it can be nice topic, imaginatively when i try to search a new nerd word and promote it to other how to see it. it will be romantic.

17. Anonymous says:

I think my next generation will  totally dip pent for the learning and earning can be computer……………………

18. Anonymous says:

he process it describes is odd and unwieldy: the construction team takes a continuous copper wire and wraps it around all the working parts of the Scioto Mile fountains. http://digg3.com/nutraslim-acai/

19. Anonymous says:

There is show reality  of  human progress .

20. Anonymous says:

Why didn’t we just stay the same. we would have been just right for the keyboard, and climb trees with ease, and crack walnuts with our toes! LOL! Just kidding, I taught that it was funny! Peace!

21. Anonymous says:

When I’m looking at some comments on this site after several weeks of absence, it looks like some accounts, even the HotForWords account, got “pwned” by hackers. I don’t know what is going here and maybe it is better not to know.

22. Anonymous says:

Since when did you start communicating in written text vs video? I neeeeeeeed those gesticulations which you employ so charmingly. So, and also dear teacher, from whence commeth the expression: “jaundiced eye”.

23. Samuel says:

Hello, my dear Teacher, please investigate { up to speed}.

24. PageDoll says:

Word Request: { Snapshot } How many meanings does it have and what was its first? Thanks

25. Dezdkado says:

Here are some colorful military euphemisms I learned in the service (and as a military brat)… there are many many more, of course

5 by 5 – perfect or perfection
    Boot – a noob; fresh out of Boot Camp
    Brain housing group – your head; cranium; skull; aka “grape”
    Claws – finger nails
    Paws – hands
    Hooves – toenails; also feet
    Dogs – feet
    Inkstick – a pen
    Gofasters – tennis shoes; sneakers
    Cadillacs – Black leather combat boots (not jungle boots), usually with a high gloss from heavy polish or a spit-shine
    Knowledge – a book or manual; required reading
    Nasty Civilian – extreme use, an ultimate sign of contempt; general use, John Q Public who has never served his country or community
    Rock – an idiot; as in “dumb as a rock”
    Grunt – Infantryman
    Susie Rottencrotch – female civilian, usually an unfaithful girlfriend
    Jody on the Block – male civilian who is hanging out with your girlfriend
    LBFM – Little Brown F***ing Machine; a woman of ill repute, usually a foreign national
    Recon – shortened form of reconnaissance; also to take, pilfer, steal, “liberate”
    Squared Away – applied to a work place it means neat, orderly, well-stocked; to describe a person it means dependable, well-informed, proficient, and motivated
    Stow – to store away or lock down
    Lock and Load – get ready; pertaining to a weapon, insert loaded magazine and rack the bolt for immediate firing
    Condition 4 – safe; concerning a weapon, magazine removed, bolt forward on an empty chamber, and selector lever on safe
    Sat/UnSat – satisfactory/unsatisfactory
    Big Chicken Dinner – Bad Conduct Discharge
    Birth Control Device – also BCD; dorky military issued glasses
    Jarhead – a Marine, also Leatherneck, Devil Dog, Girene; Killer
    Dogface – a soldier (US Army, old expression)
    Squid – also Swabbie; a seaman (US Navy)
    Zoomie – an Airman (USAF); also junior birdman
    Doc – any doctor, but most often a Navy Corpsman or Army/AF Medic
    Butterbar – a 2nd Lieutenant
    Lifer’s Juice – Coffee, also Draino, Go-Juice
    Gunny Mug – an oversized coffee cup, often in the hands or on the desk of a Staff NCO, usually a Gunnery Sergeant
    Freeballing – also going commando; wearing no underwear
    Semper Fi – shortened form of Semper Fidelis (Always faithful); Marine Corps motto, also a greeting or exclamation, expressing great pride or resignation
    Semper Gumby – Always Flexible
    Semper Coitus – Always F***ed
    Wing nut – A Marine in the Air Wing
    Pogey Bait – also Geedunk; candy/sweets, especially as a bribe
    Food Blister – an obese person, aka a “disgusting fat-body”
    Carolina Lawn Dart – a Harrier jet fighter (VTOL)
    Scrambled Eggs – the gold embroidery on a Flag officer’s cover
    Farts and Darts – the gold embroidery on an Air Force General’s cover
    Spook – Military Intelligence officer; sometimes a Cryptography tech
    Hooch – in the field, your unit’s sleeping quarters, usually a tent
    EGA – Eagle, Globe, and Anchor; the insignia of the USMC

• Anonymous says:

Well good hearing from you man. I don’t know or not sure if you posted this or not, or is even used, buy I heard a term as “Being Called Out On The Carpet, and get ready for your Skull F**king, It is true, so long! Peace!

• Dezdkado says:

As far as I know, “being called to the carpet” (being reprimanded) is not military jargon, not does it originate in the US. I believe it is English in origin and refers to reprimanding servants. Surely it can be used in a military situation, but is not military jargon. As for the other, I can’t speak for other services, but I never heard it spoken in the Corps. It just sounds like something spoken in anger.

Maybe I should ask Marina to start, or allow the HFW gang to organize, a Military Jargon page. We could get all of the military brats, spouses, and service-people here to submit words/phrases and their meanings.

• Anonymous says:

Hello Dezdkado you should know better than I. I got or heard lots of terms and sayings where they be military in origin or not, I just happened to remember that phrase from a Vietnam Vet so I just thought it could possible be a military term, but thanks for setting the record straight on that, and I talk and had many convo. with many middle aged or older that served in one branch or another in the military, some from shows movies etc. But to bad my memory is so bad. Well thank you for all the cool and interesting military terms! Peace!

• Dezdkado says:

There are likely many terms in military jargon that are associated with a particular unit and unknown outside of these units. I used to have a buddy in a Communications Squadron. He referred to it as “Comedy Squadron.”

• Anonymous says:

Hey dude thanks for your replies very much appreciated, Comedy Squadron, good one, Now don’t quote or I’m saying I’m right but if I heard and remember right doesn’t Comedy hold many different, or at least some different meanings. See you soon! Neo Out! Peace!

• Dezdkado says:

• Dezdkado says:

Some may feel insulted that I left out a few, like:

Coastie – serviceman in the Coast Guard
      Knee High Navy – Coast Guard
      Scuttlebutt – gossip, rumor

• bill gorden says:

I remember in boot camp references to pilots and other airmen as “Roger Ramjet”

26. Anonymous says:

Some points on the new sign-in method:

First, I couldn’t get the DISQUS sign-in to work using M’s instructions provided in the New Site News. My dashboard, however, knew it was me, so it was puzzeling why I couldn’t post anything. After fiddling with it for several days, I did some merging of groups of things associated with my E-mail address. It still didn’t work immediately. But now it works, sort of. Maybe it had to percolate through the system somehow. I had sent two E-mails to M, but now they should be disregarded, ignored and abandoned, if not totally shredded, for sure.

It was such a confusion, that I can’t remember all the crap I went through, so I don’t have a clear path to the solution that might benefit others. I ought to keep notes, but one can get so frustrated trying to find one’s way to the cheese, that one forgets to leave breadcrumbs along the path. At any rate, this has been such a pain, I wonder how long a non-techie would spend trying to get things to work? Maybe a newbie wouldn’t have a problem; maybe only those who had pre-DISQUS accounts do. Cluster-flop is the phrase that comes to mind (remember where that term originated? Hint=Grenada).

It appears that there is now no way to sign in except by posting a comment. And as you can’t edit a comment without being logged in, I would assume you can’t edit an existing comment without first posting one. That’s not cool.

• Dezdkado says:

The movie Heartbreak Ridge comes to mind

• Anonymous says:

• Anonymous says:

I loved Heartbreak Ridge, with Clint Eastwood, He Is The Man, and oh another one that just came to mind, was Full Metal Jacket! Just saying as long as you don’t mind swearing, and such stuff, and war of there was another one that was supposed to be a little more cleaner version, Oh Yes Major Pain, What was that Chicken Leg!, and Oh Gomer Pyle USMC very classic and funny, and clean, if that matters or not, What ever so long!

• bill gorden says:

I thought Gomer was a classic. My dad did not like the show because he’s a Marine and thought the show was humiliating them. I use the term “Gomer” as someone that is gullible and doesn’t know any better.

Dear Marina,
    A “Post-PC” sounds like a PC mounted on a fence post. For instance, to monitor traffic through a driveway. Or, it could mean what a computer user does after working on a PC. For example, “Post-PC, she smokes a cigarette and sips a cup of coffee.”
    I saw some recent videos in which iJustine show her iPad2. She bought a white one with 16 gig memory. She used it as a phone to have face-to-face talks with her friends, as a musical instrument to play drums, a guitar, and a keyboard. She used the iPad2 cameras to take photos and to make a video blog which she had on one of her websites. She really likes it and is happy with it. I think I’m going to buy an iPad2, but I plan to wait until they discover any “bugs” or problems that may need to be fixed. Are you getting an iPad2?
    SeesixCM6

28. Anonymous says:

Post-PC sounds like “after the PC,” rather than “after the introduction of the PC,” which is really what it is. But after is not apt, because PCs are still going strong. There should be a better name like “dedicated PC” or “definite purpose PC.” “Definite purpose” is the phrase that Underwriter’s Laboratories uses as the opposite of “general purpose.”

Facebook comments moved to the bottom—great idea!

29. HotForWords says:

Well, it could be called a postmodern PC too, I guess. Plus I don’t see how one can type real fast on an iPad, unless one adds a keyboard to it. How could one type fast if one can’t feel the keys flowing through one’s fingertips? Hey, I promise I’ll open a DISCUS account all right? Just let me enjoy this a bit. :-)

30. LeoNaRD says:

My brains hurt…mental like an enviromental prayer…”In God We(she){he} Thrusts(trust fun” I at a lost with all this …

31. Anonymous says:

I was down at my local computer store yesterday, looking for an adapter for one of my monitors. I happened to look over at a MacBook, just out of curiosity… and now I truly understand the term { sticker-shock }. I guess my mind is still living in a PC world. Don’t get me wrong, I like Apple, and my 1st computer was an Apple… but they should have named the company PRUNE… ’cause once you’ve paid for one, you feel like your colon has been reamed.

32. Anonymous says:

Lips Appreciation Day? Will wonders never cease?

33. Anonymous says:

Today is Lips Appreciation Day… However even though I may never be able to Kiss your Luscious Lips… I Appreciate your Lips anyways! P.S. I am NOT a Monkey’s Uncle; some may be, but I Am Not! and… Haha… The Computer started out the Size of a Small Building as the Phone started out Large and Bulky (especially cell phones) after they add all the extras it will be larger than a PC.

34. James Sharp says:

I have a massive headache…anybody else does?

I can’t believe you don’t always have one :-)