Jody Darling we will miss you!

Over the weekend I heard terrible news that Jody Darling, or as we all know him here, darlingj, had a heart attack last week and passed away.  This is devastating to me as he was a SUPER guy!  He was VERY helpful to me right from the beginning.. his first email to me was about how he felt that he could help me reach out to educational outlets to further expand my exposure.  And from that day, he took the time to help others out on the website, and became good friends with quite a few of you, including myself!

Jody showed up at my Book Soup signing a little while back, which is where I finally met him in person, and he was so nice!  He had me sign a bunch of books for him, some of them were for people like PedanticKarl, who had also become friends with him, and Jody went out of his way to come to that signing and help his friends get signed books!

Below are some pictures from that signing.

I feel horrible that Jody is gone now because he truly went out of his way to help others out on the website and he did all of this out of the kindness of his heart.  His passing reminds me to live life to the fullest because as Captain Jack once told me “Live everyday with your friends as if it were your last, for in time all you will have left is the memories.”
We miss you Jody Darling, and we will never forget you.  Thank you for taking the time for me to get to know you.  I am truly honored to have had you in my life and I know others here feel the same.
PedanticKarl made a great tribute video:

46 Responses to Jody Darling we will miss you!

Dear Marina,
    What a nice tribute to someone you recently met. You are nice to remember him well.
    Seesixcm6

2. Chemikal says:

Lost one more friend, which we would probably never have had, if it wasn’t for the internet and of course, for Marina.
    Rest in peace.

Thank you for all of your comments on the video….
    Monica, BillyB you are funny, thanks, CapMike, leoNard, Rick, Warren… :smile:

Thank you Marina for adding the video above. That was one of the toughest things to do. You are the best. Thank you. :smile:

Pedantickarl has put up a tribute video to Jody on his You Tube stie. It is a very beautiful montage of Jody’s, Karl’s, Monica’s, Marina’s and everyone that ever talked or conversed with Jody.
    Excellent job Karl simply heart felt.

• originalistrick says:

PK,

This is a beautiful tribute and you’re a beautiful person. Since I’m not one of the computer-savvy in-crowd here, I want to thank you for using your skills to convey that which I and many others felt about our friend. It’s just wonderful.

Rick

6. nearlynot says:

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I’m glad to know that he was happy in his life with what he was doing-helping others to the best of his ability and making them happy. a wonderful legacy.

7. davidd says:

Hi Marina. I just joined the site, but I’m sorry about the loss of your friend.

8. pennsyltucky9 says:

Be at peace, brother Jody. Thanks for your kindnesses and your honesty. May you be carried along on a carpet of dreams as you traverse the meadow of stars, my friend.

9. Bob says:

I’ve only just learned of Jody’s demise and I’m gutted.
    I had some very enjoyable exchanges with him on twitter and concluded that he was a real gentleman, so here is my tribute to him.

10. animalntaz says:

Yeah, I didn’t know him. The only thing I knew is that he added me on one of his twitter lists. I’m not really sure what to say about this, I’m not really sensitive about these things.
    I mean when my grandma died a couple years back, I didn’t bother calling my dad to show support. Being socially detached from family, I didn’t know what to say. It may sound cold to some, but I’ve excepted death as a part of life.

11. Dalek says:

Hey Jody if you see this I think you only commented once to me on her birthday guess Andy Warhol got it wrong 14 minutes 53 sec just won’t do you’ll just haft to make it up some place else that’s all.
    Carry on in new ways.

feel like some Eagles… hope you like

12. BigBhd95 says:

R.I.P. Jody :sad: :cry: B.B.

13. Rijk says:

i only read some of Jodi’s twits and posts and with those he touched me
    by by Jodi :*(

14. bsomebody says:

One of the good guys. We had several lively discussions and a few open disagreements. He was always respectful in expressing his views and considerate in listening to alternatives. I pray for comfort for his family and friends who must truly miss his presence in their lives. God bless you, Jody. I celebrate your life. :grin:

15. PageDoll says:

What a huge bummer! Jody was the the coolest guy ever! We met on this site for the first time and soon became good cyber friends. We wanted to party at Silk nite club some time soon, but not now. You will be missed Jody. :(
    Destanation Unknown :|

16. Che Mero says:

I shared many a night exchanging DMs with Jody over on Twitter. Jody was a good guy, I have a lot of respect for this man and the area of his expertise in the environmental aspect of the construction trade.

I will miss him dearly

Che Volay

17. Damiana says:

i’ll miss you, jody. your humor and exuberance for life often brightened my days. i’ll miss hearing about your fun times with friends and the phenomenal food you created. you made me laugh when you invited me for a virtual swim on twitter. you took the time to advise me, with great insight, about dropping a new engine/transmission into my eclipse. you didn’t always like that i blipped music into twitter, but you were very sweet, calling them “sweet tweets”. you were a good friend. you’re in my heart.. all the love, jody. :*(

18. BillyB says:

Ironically Jody is still posting tweets in the twitter stream… just read his latest tweet a few minutes ago… was from an auto-tweet he’d set up to share with people something, I suppose, that meant a lot to him.

The Moon’s entry into your 7th House of Partners places a spotlight on your relationships. Instead of responding to a situation based upon your own needs, you must also take what others want into consideration. Unfortunately, it’s not easy to accept someone else’s point of view now. Nevertheless, compromise is still a smarter alternative to acting on your own.

I was fortunate to enjoy some conversations with Jody on twitter ranging from *dating in Vegas* to *mosquitoes* to *rowdy teens in the pool*. When Capman911 sent me a DM on twitter that Jody had died, I wept openly. I found it heartening that someone I knew only from online communications, and a common connection to the HFW website & Marina, had touched me so with just a few short conversations. News of his passing rather shocked me and reminded me of how fragile we all are.
    Thank you Marina for posting this tribute page to one very special man, who had a fragile heart that was pure & golden.

19. doncross2bear says:

Did not have the pleasure of meeting the man, and feeling sorta new and outside, but if I can butt in here I’d like to say to all how sorry I am for the sense of loss that you are feeling now. Studied the pic above for several moments and the kindness of your friend is evident in his eyes. I pray (or hope, you choose) that he is in a perfect place now and that you all will be comforted in many ways.

20. buzzword says:

jody darling and i disagreed on most everything, politics, religion, etc… however his humor and optimism kept our conversations friendly and enjoyable. I will miss his presence. since i first met him and said hello to him here on hfw, i feel it appropriate to say goodbye to him here as well. i’m sure he would have disagreed and argued that “goodbye” isn’t the right word. goodbye jody.

21. I haven’t been here in a long time as life has taken twists & turns of it’s own for me, but I was shocked and saddened to hear of Jody’s passing. He mentioned something about back pain on Twitter, and then suddenly he was gone. I will miss him.

Every interaction I had with Jody was positive, whether it was via YouTube, email, or Twitter. He was always helpful and encouraging, sending links to information and even playing one of my videos on his page. As someone else mentioned, Jody had a way of making you feel special, appreciating whatever talent or gift you were given. He was a genuinely nice person, never asking anything in return for his kindness.

My heart goes out to everyone who knew him better than I did, as I know your pain must be great. I pray that comfort and peace embrace you and the love of friends and family holds you tight.

Many Blessings,
    Monica

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

22. errin says:

WTF? That’s really, really sucks. I was just popping on to twitter to show a friend of mine pics of Marina as a brunette when I noticed the tweet about Jody.

I never met Jody online here. I met him in person for the first time at Marina’s book signing in Hollywood. He came up to me after Marina spoke (but before she signed books), and recognized me. Said he enjoyed my contribution to this site and that he also liked my music. We became twitter friends after that. He was a super sweet guy, and way too young to pass away so soon. I was hoping to see him again at the next HFW function or maybe in Palm Springs, where he lived and I sometimes visit cause my extended family has a vacation condo there. Way bummed that I’ll never get to see him again or have him hear the full band EP I am about to record. The biggest bummer is that such a cool, considerate, fun person is no longer with us. I’m sure he’s in a better place tho.

Peace and love, Errin : (

I think now I have realized how disconnected I have become from here. I have not tried to hack the site for ages, I will spend as much time as I can here now.

When I talked with Jody he made me feel special. How many people can you truly say that about?

I’ve never lost a purely online friend before, and I’m honestly confused over the heavy weight that is tugging at my heart. I reckon that’s a testament to the soul of our friend.

I also thank you for this page, Marina. Live and love, HFW Family.

I remember when I first talked to Jody and started to get to know him, it was right here at the HotForWords site. He was enthusiastic about what HotForWords was doing and he began a laborous task and dedicated earnest effort to go about watching every HotForWords video so he could better understand what Marina “the HotForWords experience” was about. He really took it to task that in order to understand someone better it was a good idea to learn about what they do and how they go about doing what they do and I admire Jody for his effforts.

Jody was such a fun loving guy who made friends fast so it’s no surprise to me that his last name was “Darling”. The times I managed to engage in conversation with Jody always proved to be a memorable time, and a rewarding experience. I would have liked to have gotten to know him better, there was so many things I wanted to discuss with him and I’m sure in his heart of hearts he would understand these words I write as a way for me to express in honor his free spirit and deep kindness he gave to others so freely.

I know Jody did a lot of work behind the scenes here, doing extra credit work on the HotForWords site. The day of the book soup signing meant a lot to him and he was very glad to finally meet up with Marina (some wonderful photos of that day are posted here) .

Well, I will miss you much buddy, take care
    A quote from Star Trek Voyager for you kind Sir :arrow:

“There’s coffee in that nebula!” — Janeway (The Cloud)

Thank you Marina !!!
    for this wonderful page and dedication to Jody.
    Jody and I became friends as we shared many similar interests and had similar backgrounds. I met Jody on this site early last year and although we became very close, I had never met him in real life, although there were many opportunities to do so.

Jody was a true friend and he was like a brother who I never had. He was very helpful to me and always made himself available to me. Jody and I spent many hours on the phone and wrote a ton of emails.

Jody also represents one of the finest people of character that I can recall. Jody didn’t have time to walk in the counsel of the wicked, even if they were of the same political stripe. Jody was the perennial optimist and lifted up the spirits of many who became friends with him. Jody was a man of quality.

Even though this page is about Jody, let me assure you if Jody were sitting here right beside me, this page would not be about him. Yes, he would want the recognition like everyone else, but Jody would make sure that this recognition is really about Marina because that’s who Jody deeply cared about just as he cared deeply to those who became his friend.

It should come to no surprise to those of you who really understand Marina, that Jody understood her and became of her dearest supporters. Read the many comments that Jody wrote and you will understand. Jody talked about affinity and quality relationships which were important to him. Marina is one of the dearest souls and Jody recognized that.

For those of you who have not gotten to know Marina, I can assure you that she cares for each one of her subscribers in a way that you might never understand, and this page reflects Marina’s caring.

To Jody, trust me when I tell you now and when I reassured you many times, Marina does know who you are and she does care for you. I will miss those many hours of discussions we had. You are a truly blessed soul and thank you for being a very dear friend.
    I will miss you.

To Marina, thank you again for this page, You are a very special and gifted person. I’m still in the process of editing a dedication video to Jody.

27. bigredgumball says:

:sad:

WHY DO I KEEP SAYING DARLINGjr?

R.I.P Darlingjr :sad:

30. leoNard says:

God Bless Jody……so sad!

Jody was a true “Hotforwords” friend and good guy !!! :|

I know he truly touched everyone he came in contact with. I will miss him.