SvD – YouTube unlike anything we’ve been through

svd-hfwSwedish Daily Newspaper – Svenska Dagbladet or SvD writes an interesting article about how YouTube is so different from traditional media, that traditional media icons, like Oprah, are having a hard time harnessing it.

The article is actually about a book called the YouTube Reader where they mention yours truly while discussing the YouTube phenomenon. (If someone could help me translate this better, that would be great!)

Other contributions in the anthology highlight examples of successful vloggers – video bloggers – and studying how they managed to create successful brands. Among the more well-known and interesting examples is “Hot For Words” – where Marina Orlova (a sort of blend between Frederick Lindstrom and Victoria Silvstedt) teaches the etymology behind different words that her faithful and the environment crowd asked her to look at. Her imagery – with a mixture of  sex appeal and teachers inside like admonishing – has proved a remarkably effective way of getting out etymology.

Jean Burgess and Joshua Green show that Orlova playing in six is just part of what in reality is a complex media strategy. Orlova commented frequently on the Internet, pick up and thank the commentators, corrects any errors and quickly tie together different social networks that arise around her video channel. Her ability to engage in network provides direct effect: both financially and in audience. Orlova has become a so-called  cross-over hit, and now increasingly visible in other media as well.

Here is the article run through Google Translator.

And here is the article in its original language.

YouTube Reader is available on Amazon. Or the Wallflower Press.

32 Responses to SvD – YouTube unlike anything we’ve been through

1. twitterpated says:

I can’t read Swedish, but I can edit.

Here’s a first rough draft.

“Other contributions in the collection highlight examples of successful vloggers (video bloggers) and examine how they built successful brands. Among the more well-known and interesting examples is “Hot For Words”; Marina Orlova (a sort of blend between Frederick Lindstrom and Victoria Silvstedt) teaches the etymology behind various words requested by both her faithful audience and random visitors. Her imagery, a mixture of sex appeal and your favorite teacher’s encouragement, has proved a remarkably effective way to promote etymology.

“Jean Burgess and Joshua Green show that Orlova ???playing in six??? is just part of what is in reality a complex media strategy. Orlova leaves comments frequently on the Internet, singles out and thanks individual fans for their comments, corrects any errors and quickly ties together a variety of social networks that have grown around her video channel. Her ability to immerse herself in the complex network has a direct impact financially and on the size of her audience. Orlova has become what is often called a cross-over hit; she is increasingly visible in more traditional media outside her own online videos.”

I have no idea what “playing in six” means.

You know, Marina, if I’m going to do your homework, I ought to get at least a kiss in return.

Dontcha think?

Twitterpated ‘n’ Frustrated

quite the compliment :!:

3. pat haskett says:

Wow! Moving ahead faster than Oprah! This is great Marina but pretty soon your most faithful fans will be begging for cars! Congrats on another positive article.

4. rhiannon says:

if needed

not ,, You can always ask http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ez11LkUwM if he will help You.

+46 738 412937 my cellphone
    4thomasmsn@englunds.info my MSN
    thomas@englunds.info my email
    +46 739214 837 my shrink

:smile: Kalinihta for Good Night

Just enjoyed your “Pie” piece on G4TV.

[CATBIRD'S SEAT]

Goodnight, Dear Teach. Sweet dreams.

This is really neat. Great for you, Marina.

8. rhiannon says:

it´s a fair translation, minor grammatic errors and some words in swedish…

Why invent the wheel twice …
    Please feel free to ask any pinpointed question, par example, if there are some particular words, grammar ,,, tell me and I will do my outest to explain.

Please read my http://blogg.englunds.info/#post70 how to explain that in words better … please help me out.

and why comes all female in duo..?
    ThE

9. packcat says:

“playing in six” => sexual role playing? or sexual playfulness.
    sex appeal…
    the number 6 in swedish is pronounced ‘sex’.

10. SurfinRI says:

Hejsan, Marina:

Jag älska dig! Du är fantastik!

Hej då!
    Din vän, Joel

11. BigBhd95 says:

:lol: :mrgreen: :cool:
    edit is back to working hooray :!:

12. wetsuit5 says:

AAA call us, we to fix your Saab. Where hangar?

13. foraggio says:

“… a sort of blend between Frederick Lindstrom and Victoria Silvstedt”.

You’ve got to be pretty happy with that.

• vickex says:

Fredrik Lindström is briliant. :)

He had a tv-show on the swedish tv channel “SVT 1″ (Svensk television – Swedish television) where he went on a trip through Sweden and tried to come to an understanding about accents and lifestyles in the modern sweden and the antique sweden. Really interesting. It’s on svtplay.se if anyones interested. It’s in swedish though, of course.

Quite a humorous whilst also informative article

:grin: Pelle Snickars media researcher. ;-)

funny, i clicked on this and i’m hearing a cocoa advertisment on television

17. vickex says:

Hey. I’m swedish. :D

I’m glad they mentioned you in the article. Good going Marina!

18. darlingj says:

I think they captured the (jist or gist?) of you quite well. :grin:

I loved the section where he described you and the channel.
    Another interesting perspective and the YouTube phenomena.

I wonder what he meant by the statement;
    “a sort of blend between Frederick Lindstrom
    and Victoria Silvstedt”

I know who Victoria is, and you are ten million times more gorgeous, but I understand his comparison. But, Fredrick?
    Hmmm, must investigate.