Handicap (is it a bad word?)

Hey guys and gals :-) This is where the Handicap discussion is happening. So make your comments here.

IS HANDICAP A BAD WORD WHEN REFERRING TO SOMEONE WITH DISABILITIES? AND IS THE WORD “DISABLED” BAD AS WELL?

This video is interactive.. you need to watch it on YouTube to be able to use the interactive features. Or you can see the 3 possible answers here.

Also, take a look at the coComment widget to see conversations I am having on this topic on other websites as well, and feel free to follow me and comment there as well. My page that lists all my comments everywhere is here.

365 Responses to Handicap (is it a bad word?)

1. Bill Kitsch says:

The very discussion on this is a discussion on political correctness.

politically correct; noun: marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving especially race, gender, sexual affinity, or ecology. Abbreviation: PC, P.C.
    Main article: Cultural Marxism

University of Pennsylvania professor Alan Charles Kors and lawyer Harvey A. Silverglate connect political correctness to Marxist philosopher Herbert Marcuse. They claim that liberal ideas of free speech are repressive, arguing that such “Marcusean logic” is the base of speech codes, which are seen by some as censorship, in US universities. Kors and Silvergate later established the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, which campaigns against PC speech codes.[26]

Some conservative critics claim that political correctness is a Marxist undermining of Western values.[27] William S. Lind and Patrick Buchanan have characterized PC as a technique originated by the Frankfurt School, through what Buchanan describes as “Cultural Marxism”.[28][29] In The Death of the West, Buchanan says: “Political Correctness is Cultural Marxism, a regime to punish dissent and to stigmatize social heresy as the Inquisition punished religious heresy. Its trademark is intolerance.” [30]

My Note: In the US, we see clearly, the Communist (Marxist) smear that coined the term “McCarthyism” is an exquisitely masterful example here: (by Ayn Rand)

“McCarthyism”

In the late 1940’s, another newly coined term was shot into our cultural
    arteries: “McCarthyism.” Again, it was a derogatory term, suggesting
    some insidious evil, and without any clear definition. Its alleged meaning was:
    “Unjust accusations, persecutions, and character assassinations of innocent
    victims.” Its real meaning was: “Anti-communism.”

Senator McCarthy was never proved guilty of those allegations, but the
    effect of that term was to intimidate and silence public discussions. Any
    uncompromising denunciation of communism or communists was—and still
    is—smeared as “McCarthyism.” As a consequence, opposition to and
    exposés of communist penetration have all but vanished from our
    intellectual scene. (I must mention that I am not an admirer of Senator
    McCarthy, but not for the reasons implied in that smear.)

“‘Extremism,’ or the Art of Smearing,”

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal, 176

2. Being handicapped myself, I really don’t find it offensive in anyway, no matter what word is used, unless it’s nasty. I have long since accepted that I can never do everything as good as someone that doesn’t have the disability that I have and I’m ok with that. I on the other hand, I am pretty sure that I type faster with one hand than most people, which I think is cool :D. But to each his/her own I always say, I see that some people find it offensive, I, like I said, do not.

3. Yes, it is a bad word for disabled people (also “disabled people” is a bad word). I Mexico, we refered those people as “people with different capabilities”

4. rijk says:

handicapt is not a bad word, [George Carlin] explains it like no one other can,
    The physically challenged, differently abled, handicapable , f*** that (sorry can’t find the link (parental advisory)).

Looking for George i came acros this on and liked to know the origin of the word [delete] 5.58/7.50

5. teacherspet09 says:

Although Handicapped and Disabled is basically the word to discribe those who are ” Handicap or Disabled ” It is proper to use the word ”Mentally Retarded”.but all together its best to not to say mention anything about terms. Just treat them as a normal human being.

6. wheelz says:

Regardless of the origin of “handicapped,” I find the word offensive when used to describe people with disabilities.

The term–like “disabled”–is subjective. One of the definitions of the term “handicapped” is “disadvantaged.” As a person with a disability, whether or not I view my “handicap” as a disadvantage depends on my point of view. That is also true if people without disabilities view others’ “handicaps” as disadvantages.

The same can be said for “disabled,” as well as “confined to” a wheelchair or “wheelchair bound.” The fact that I have a disability (not a bad word), doesn’t automatically render me “disabled.” And I use a wheelchair, but don’t consider myself “bound” or “confined” by it.

7. deafbecky says:

I AM HANDICAP AND HOW THE HELL CAN I AM DEAF IF YOU JUST ANSWERED MY QUESTION,WHY HARASSMENT ME A RETARDED.WHY PEOPLE HATE ME DEAF HANDICAP AND WHY I DONT HAVE ANY GF.
    Since I don’t understand what the people was saying ,Why do some people make fun of me and deaf people But because people humans are cruel there is no way to stop but people is always making jokes about other handicap people and i dont like rude it.i am upset now i am bad hurt myself .lesbian and bi people would harassment me word bad retarded.i am angry stop people call me against .i fuck up done with me i am sad very much why myspace chat people bad mood..i dont have any girlfriends and all girls hate me too.
    i know hear girls lesbian and bi hate me deaf bi and lesbian human right too.i not retarded and blind i dont have new friends andgirlfriends either i am full deaf AND I TIRED SOMEONE FIND ANOTHER CHAT LOOKING WOMEN AND HELL PEOPLE TRY HARASSMENT ME RETARDED AND BLIND I NOT MENALLTY RETARDED HELL I AM SAD VERY MUCH I CANT HOW A LANAUGE MY ENGLISH AND GRAMMER AND I AM LONELY AND I AM MAD HELL PEOPLE NEED SHUT UP .I AM DEAF BORN BECUASE MY EAR IS NERVE BUT DID NOT GROW UP WHY ALL GIRLS HATE ME DAMN

:cry: deafbecky: I hope your days are getting better; not everyone can understand, nor relate to difficulties. :!:

*****Be Brave******Make others be happy with your love for life**!**some people are punks :evil:

…come back to HotForWords and enjoy :smile: Marina is great :!:

8. kenaz says:

Having fought a saw (the saw won) some 7 years ago, and working closely with what society labels Developmentally disabled adults for a good many years before the digit decimating battle, I really do understand the use of such linguistic short hand ( no pun intended) yet find “challenged” to be a more descriptive, and less derogatory reference to those of us that face these daily. The irony here is that this “challenge” is a two way street, for by interacting within society with the limitation, it offers an expansion of both tolerances, and acceptance by those I encounter.

9. jamesfye says:

handicap would be better then disabled because dis-abled would mean not able and people who are handicaped can still do just they were given a handicap to make it mare challenageing for them so with this point of view they are the better player!

10. doctorhypnotic says:

As someone who has been called ‘handicapped’, ‘disabled’, ‘crippled’, and other highly controversial words, I do not feel any of these words are bad themselves, it depends on who uses them and how they are used.

When these words are used as descriptive, I have no problem with ther use. Only when they are used in a derogatory manner do I find them objectionable.

In short, do I have a handicap? Yes I do.

Am I handicapped? No I am not.

Just one man’s opinion.

11. ingvarr says:

The answer videos are great girl. I think people are way too sensitive about these things. Unfortunately the pc crew is making a comeback. Like saying why do you have to call hfw or hfp a blond?

12. qtrtilldawn says:

I am unsure if it is a bad word or not. Why don’t you use their name instead? Why use a label at all? It would be like calling Marina “Blondie” or the like.

Just say the guy, (or gal), over there in the chair. Or the one in the white shirt and blue jeans. Why label?

Anyway, check out this YouTube kid. It is pretty cool. HERE

13. homebrewmaster says:

After having my right hand amputated in 1987 I have had this question asked of me personally. I prefer Disabled myself, I find Handicap lumps all disabilities into one term. Again, it’s my opinion and that’s all. Ask anyone that has a disability and you will get a different answer.

Finally had to sign up to the site just to comment. Don’t know why I did not do it earlier.

Thanks Marina, never stop.

14. pet says:

If handicap in sport means evening the playing field, thus allowing the less skilled to compete with the more skilled, then calling someone handicapped should reflect a positive attitude showing an acceptance of the disadvantage and a willingness even the play.

15. tedt says:

My sister is called handicapped, she was born in the 6th month of pregnancy.

Nice video.

(3rd August I get 26 :razz: )

16. matalexwolf says:

So Handicap a bad word or not? I think it is, if refering to people with disabilities. Okay for sport.
    I spent best part of six months in a spinal injuries unit when I was twenty years old. Even the word Disabled was frowned upon. All prefered to say Unabled Bodied Person.
    Ever since I note how difficult it must be for unabled bodied persons to use wheel chairs around town. Wheely have a long way to go before all is equal :smile:

17. hot4mrina says:

Those who are able to rise up and live life in spite of handicaps are to be applauded! It upsets me when they are discriminated against, but the word itself seems appropriate.

18. bigbob says:

As a person with a birth defect who is in a wheelchair, I find the word “handicapped” to not be offensive. I prefer to call myself “unique” because there are no two people born with what I have that are EXACTLY the same. I do, however, find the word “crippled” offensive. When a person talks about another person and says “oh yeah, I know that crippled boy” I picture someone whos hands and arms are bent so they can’t do ANYTHING with them. I have FULL use of my arms and hands. I NEED them to lift my 180 some pounds out of my chair and into bed and other places. ( I think I should mention that I am only about 5 foot 1 inch tall. That makes me look REAL HEFTY.) I used to like the term “differently abled” but like the word “unique” better now.

19. drovoca says:

I think political correctness and the use of euphemisms commonly serve to the hypocrites. I mean, I will call anyone the way they want to be called –of course–, but I believe the form of the speech is less important than the content.

When you are respectful to a person it’s great if you try to choose your words carefully, but it’s terrible and manipulative if you have no respect for someone and you try to hide this fact by changing a word of two.

Great job, beautiful Marina!

20. cmacfamsc says:

I don’t think handicapped or disabled are bad words, it’s just that one is more politically correct than the other.

21. elpollo says:

I did not know about this one.
    Thanks, always a pleasure to watch you.

22. mello-g37 says:

GOLLIWOGG
    The “Golliwogg” (later “Golliwog”) is a rag doll-like, children’s literary character created by Florence Kate Upton in the late 19th century. The Golliwogg was inspired by a blackface minstrel doll Upton had as a child in America. At one point it was very popular in Europe and as a result has become a collector’s item. However, the image of the doll has become the subject of heated debate. One aspect of the debate in its favour argues that it should be preserved and passed on as a cherished cultural artifact and childhood tradition, while opponents argue it should be retired as a relic of an earlier time when racism against black people was blatant.

British jam manufacturer James Robertson & Sons used a golliwog called Golly as its mascot from 1910, after John Robertson apparently saw children playing with golliwog dolls in America. Robertson’s started producing promotional Golliwog badges in the 1920s, which could be obtained in exchange for tokens gained from their products. In 1983, the company’s products were boycotted by the Greater London Council as offensive, and in 1988 the character ceased to be used in television advertising. The company used to give away golliwog badges making up different sets, such as playing jazz instruments, or with sports equipment, or other such themes. The badge collection scheme was retired in 2001.

Robertson now denies any link between Golliwoggs and black people — in a statement reported by the BBC. Virginia (Ginny) C Knox, previously brand director for Robertson’s and now Chief Operating Officer of the Culinary Brands Division of RHM, told the Herald Newspaper in Scotland in 2001 that the decision to remove the Golly (Golliwogg) symbol from Robertson’s jam and marmalade jars was taken after research found that children were not familiar with the character, although it still appealed to the older generations. “We sell 45 million jars of jam and marmalade each year and they have pretty much all got Golly on them,” said Ms Knox. “We also sell 250,000 Golly badges to collectors and only get 10 letters a year from people who don’t like the Golliwogg image”. Today, Robertson’s Golliwog badges remain highly collectible, with the very rarest sometimes selling for more than £1,000, and even comparatively common and recent badges being worth £2.00-£3.00.

What is next Children can not sing ‘ barr barr black sheep ‘ :roll:

There was a Pub near my town called THE GOLLYWOGG and had to change the sign…..I think its crazy……even Rupert the bear had to be White !!

23. levocombi says:

Why is the term handicap used in golf?

24. levocombi says:

I actually am handicapped, and that term is not offensive in the least. Disabled isn’t offensive either. I have muscular dystrophy, and I am in a wheelchair. People are too concerned with political correctness, and that offends me. I wouldn’t care if I was called crippled, handicapped, disabled, or lame. People are too afraid of offending others. Like the odious Stretch on that Maxim radio show always talks about, America is becoming pussified.

25. Not only are disabled and handicap bad words they are nefarious words.
    I see so many people saying otherwise. Even though there is the American Disabilities Act, try and get a job with a disability. My son is disabled and he’s treated like a second class citizen. Not all but to many people look down on disabled men and women.

73 and 88
    N8ZU

26. prospero811 says:

Another word, like handicap, that I’ve not been able to figure out why it was deemed offensive by some, is “oriental.” At some point in the last 20 years or so, “oriental” became offensive and was replaced by “Asian.”

One, I don’t see why anyone would be offended by being called an “oriental” person. Some people are called occidental people, and that doesn’t seem to be a big deal.

Two, “Asian” doesn’t seem very accurate, since it seems to only apply to some, but not all, people from Asia. For example, we never really seem to call people from Kamchatka or Krasnoyarsk “Asian” or people from Mongolia or Bangladesh, “Asian.” Should an Indian person write “Asian” or “other” on an application? What about a Turkish person, or an Israeli?

27. prospero811 says:

I didn’t watch the youtube one, but without looking it up, I would guess number 1.

I think that some people argued that handicap was offensive, and that disabled was better. Others argued that disabled was also offended, and tried to create the (in my opinion, silly) term “differently abled.” Some others tried to say that “challenged” was a less judgmental term to use. Originally, I think people used to use “crippled” for mobility handicaps, and then blind, deaf, mute/dumb for other specific handicaps.

I don’t think there has ever been a consensus on this issue, I don’t think.

In my opinion, it’s not an offensive word.

28. okay4now says:

Marina, kinda nice having a lesson without panties, no? :wink:

29. Bob says:

No correct answers.
    The hedgehog crossed the road to see its flat mate. :roll:

30. ragabashmoon says:

“I know that I will never be politically correct, and I don’t give a damn about my lack of etiquette! As far as I’m concerned the world could still be flat, and if it really is gone then it’s time to take it back!” – Everything Louder than Everything Else by Meatloaf (written by Jim Steinman)

31. ragabashmoon says:

I think it really depends on the person. In fact, with some people even NOTICING they are not in perfect health is a major offense. For example, I once held the door for a guy in a wheelchair and he cussed me out for assuming he needed help.

• levocombi says:

That guy doesn’t appreciate courtesy.

• ragabashmoon says:

Yes, although I think there was more to it than that. I think he was just bitter about his condition. He didn’t want pity. I hope I don’t offend anyone in saying this, but I really think he was a Vietnam veteran. America didn’t “support” the Vietnam veterans like we do our soldiers nowadays They returned, many of them in wheelchairs, to a country that largely hated them… so it’s no surprise some of them are bitter about someone showing “pity” by helping them.

• Kelly says:

I am in a wheelchair and I appreciate courtesy as much as the next person, however, there have been many people who have been overly courteous to those with disabilities thus bringing more attention to the disability. I have had able bodied people literally run towards me from a long distance just to open the door…that is not necessary! I have also had able bodied people ask me if they can open an AUTOMATIC door for me…no, that defeats the purpose of the door being AUTOMATIC! I have also have had able bodied people basically rip the door that I had already had half way open to open it for me thus ripping my shoulder! I appreciate courtesy but this is taking courtesy too far to the point of not being helpful at all.

I disagree with how the guy handled the situation…cussing someone out is never appropriate…but next time it is best to ask if help is needed then just automatically giving it. Giving help automatically just undermines the person’s ability to take care of themself.

32. chabooboo says:

My boyfriend of near 6 years has a genetic disorder that has him in a wheelchair at all times and he seems to prefer handicapped over disabled but both are OK. Really it’s all in how you use it. The word he finds offensive especially (and i agree) is any variation of cripple used as a description for a person. It may have an origin that wasn’t so bad then (I honestly haven’t looked into it) but now, people have used it so derogatorily that it is seen as an offense.

• captainjack says:

I have a friend that is handicap. He deals with it very well. He is always making jokes about other handicap people. I tried to act like I’m retarded and he always corrects me. He says your using the wrong hand against your chest. Its the left hand not the right hand, he says. :mrgreen: He says if life deals you limes then you make margaritas! OMG that still cracks me up!!! :mrgreen: Anytime I have a problem he always seem to find an answer. I guess he has gotten good at it!

• levocombi says:

I am handicapped and I am scared to death of asking girls out. I am afraid that I’m not worthy because I can’t do all the physical things expected of a man, like holding doors. People need to hold doors for me. I hope I’m not being to personal, but what went through your head when your boyfriend first asked you out?

• chabooboo says:

Actually, I asked him. Before he answered he had many of the same fears and wanted to have a serious talk about how he wasn’t just miraculously get better and eventually in fact would worsen but I still really liked him. Just as long as you are up front with a girl about everything the main question is like everyone elses problem of does she/he like me. If a girl sould turn you down for that reason alone then that’s a sign that she wasn,t quite as great as you thought. I’m sure many people have told you that but I hope that me speaking on the experience of the other side it helps. We have had our problems to work through but really, if you do care for someone and love them you find a way to make it work. The main problems have been is his dad and others. His dad still thinks since I’m 19 and young I’ll think he’s holding me back and just run off some day and says it’s understandable. I hate when he says that. The hardest part for me has been hearing other people say I’m dating him for pity. That sure as hell isn’t it!!! I have been taken with this guy from day 1. I don’t say this to scare you I just want to be honest. After meeting him I did some volenteering at the Illinois MDA camp and honestly, if everyone gave that camp one week of their lives this topic could never be an issue. Leaving that place was always the hardest thing one week was never enough. The only time anyone there scared me off was when they were angery or bitter about their situation. I’ve seen many of the challenges my boyfriend faces daily and he still stays so positive for the most part and just deals and finds his own way to get things done, such as you said with the door thing. Well I’m droning on and probably boring you to tears. LOL! Sorry. don’t be afraid to write back if you want, or if you have more questions. :grin:

33. lividemerald says:

I don’t know if it’s a bad word. But it’s handy.

34. Ardhiel says:

I love these videos, Marina.

35. laconickid201 says:

I do not think it is a bad word to use. Disabled sounds like one is unable to function well or is somehow inferior. I prefer handicap when referring to someone with a disability. Just my 2 pesos. :wink: Great new interactive feature, Marina! I like that we can now choose our answer to the Guess the Word Origin game and receive the correct one right away. Siga con el buen trabajo, profesora! :smile:

36. martin1337 says:

I dont find it a bad word at all, its not an insulting word. You have to use some word for it anyway.

37. apatheticactivist says:

I don’t think handicapped is a bad word unless it is used as an insult in which case it’s not a good thing to say.

38. apatheticactivist says:

Can I ask what is the origin of the word chav.
    Thanks. love the site!!

39. pool929 says:

Sooooooooo love your site. How about the saying “tit for tat” I have heard it and have no idea what it means.

40. captainjack says:

Hi everyone. Sorry I’ve been away for a week. I’m still making some minor repairs and cleaning up the boat. So let me tell you what happened.

On Monday night a low pressure system raced into the Pacific Northwest bring in winds gusting over 48 mph/77km/h. This is not normal June weather here (Today Im getting a bit of a sun burn). In fact according to the National Weather Service, the average high temperature in Seattle last week was a less-than-balmy 57.3 degrees — nearly two degrees lower than the previous record, set in 1917. That’s 10 degrees lower than the normal high for the week, 68 degrees. Read Seattle P.I. article about storms in PNW. It was colder here than in Siberia, Russia. Read Seattle Times article. At 3pm I received a small craft advisory suggesting winds up to 17 mph / 27 km/h. Thinking that this was going to be the worst of the low pressure system I went to town eat dinner. I came back 3 hours later to find the winds where gusting at 35 mph / 56 km/h. Waves where at 4 feet / 1.2 m. My vessel sits on the outside of the break water (breaks down waves) for I wanted temporary summer moorage for my new summer classes. Then move south to San Fransisco or Los Angeles, Ca for my winter classes.
    Being outside of the breakwater in high winds is not a great place to park a yacht. In the first 3 hours of the storm, the dock tore a 7 foot / 2.1 m by 3 inch / 7.2 cm hole down the side of my boat. Large enough for me to place my hand inside the hull of the boat. Electrical systems where on the same side as the damage area and wire where pulled apart. all my life lines are all bent out of shape or cracked. Back say (line that holds up the mast) broke. All my new fenders (little rubber pillows that protect the boat from the dock) were torn apart. Waves started to enter the boat through the tear in the hull and she could not take anymore damage in fear that she would sink at the dock. I decided to pull the dock line off and head out to the lake (yea a little lake can be worse than open ocean) I found an empty slip in the marina that was not currently being used. It was not an easy task to park a boat between to other million dollar yachts during 48mph winds. With the help of other boaters I was able to get tied up for the night. My new friend George set me up for the night on his 55 footer / 16.75m yacht. I had a glass of wine and watch a great movie (The Blue Max)
    The next few days I had a surveyor come out and look a the boat. We found a second tear in the forward part of the hull. Its about 4 feet / 1.2m long. The cost of repair out weights the cost of replacement so the boat is totaled. Insurance did not cover break water damage (they aways find a way not to pay, damn them!). I have been looking for a new sailboat to buy and now I guess I’ll have to move that schedule up. Oh and something else. Because of the recession in the US. My class numbers have been so low that I have had to cancel 2 classes.
    Lesson learned here is if went out to sea (lake) I would have been just fine. I could have anchored out and gone to bed and had a great night being rocked to sleep. Its against the law here to anchor in the lake. I just love it when people with not boating experience make crappy rules. For example we have this new director of the Washington State Ferry system (The largest in the US) and he doesn’t know the difference from port side and starboard side of a boat. He was hired for that reason. The thinking that someone who knows nothing about boats could manage the countries largest ferry system better than someone who at least owns a Bayliner (Joke, Bayliner boats are like owning a Ford Pinto) Sorry for me ranting on here. :sad:

Ain’t life just grand? How could it get worse? Only if you live in Iowa right now. :sad: I wish they all had house boats then they would be having a blast right now. :mrgreen:

So anywho, thats my story. Speaking of stories. I have much to read and comment here. I missed you all very much. And thank you for all your emails of your concern. :mrgreen:

~~!~!~~____(\__
    *Running to the storm* I must be nuts!

• pagedoll says:

Well, sorry to hear about your boat, what a major bummer to say the least. I can’t even imagine how you felt to walk up and see two giant holes in her hull and then to be kicked while you’re down by the insurance people. Man, I feel for ya. I didn’t relalize you had a sailboat. I love sailing though I haven’t done much of it. I took a sailing class once when I was just a pup at oceanside harbor, we learned on the little lazer type boats, what a kick! I’ve also sailed to catalina a few times on a 43 ft columbia. Theres nothing like a strong wind to get that boat way over on its side and the water rushing over and across the edge! Anyways, glad to see you’re safe and sound. Question: What classifies a boat as a “small craft” and what was your boats name?…just wondering. :smile:

• captainjack says:

Oh I didn’t get woken up. I was already up. The winds started about 7 pm. I was soaked to the bone. I even was shivering cold. When my underwear gets wet then thats all i could take. I really didn’t care about the insurance company. They are all crooks, except the AMA. But my class was canceled. That really hurt! What I make in those classes and make all the headaches go away.

I’ve wanted to try a Lazer. Sounds like a sailors boat. Im still new at sailing. I’ve spent years motor boating and im starting to get used to the motor shutting off and using the sails for power. Its spooky at first, but I get used to it. My first ride in a sail boat was the Tall Ship Lady Washington. If someone that can fly bed sheets for sails and make the boat move faster with them than the engine at full power, thats got my attention!
        Small craft is anything less than 65 ft / 20 meters. If its larger then its a ship. As for my boats name… Kokopelli… I didn’t name it but Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with a huge phallus and feathers or antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by some Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music. So I kind of like the name and kept it.

My dream boat will be called “Brittle Star” I picked up a Brittle Star years ago on the Island Spirits 300 lbs anchor on morning. The tiny star fish was still alive. I showed it to a friend that was a naturalist and she said that they can survive 500 feet below the surface of the ocean. That blew me way! Little bugger live in 400 feet of water and had a long ride up the anchor and still moving. Wow! Big ocean and a little tiny boat, sounds like a good name for my future boat. What I mean tiny boat I mean 50ft or larger.

Ya Im a bit bummed out but reading your guys comments and being back on this blog really lifts my spirit. :grin: Thanks!

• okay4now says:

Capt. J. That’s the first narrative I’ve truly read on this site. I’ve known some world class boatsmen who have lost boats from right underneath themselves, but every story is better with a couple of gashes in it. Where you going for dinner or drinks?

• BillyB says:

Ouch Jack…Ouch. Feel your pain man :sad:
      We have been under the same weather but my suffering amounts to wet upholstry in the convertible & cold pool water. Hey I’m glad for your good attitude, you’re alive, with well wishers & friends. If you need help, just ask, as I know you help others who ask you.
      People were praying for the weather to settle for my daughters wedding (outdoors in a beautiful garden setting), turned out the best day of the month so far. :smile:

• dvdpage says:

Cap’n,
      Ooch..sorry to hear about that!
      Good luck on your next one.
      By the way a lazer is a small sail boat about 14 feet used to train. I used to race them in Folsom Lake Yacht Club as a young man. They are cool and good boats but only for the weekend warrior types. glad your safe.

this it came to…hows Jack :-)

41. orion_ss1 says:

It seems to me that in our overly politically correct society ANY term that gains general understanding ( ie its meaning is immediately understood ) will BECOME a politically incorrect term that someone will decide they think it is offensive. SO we need a new term that can be used until someone else decides the new term is also offensive for some real or imaginary reason.

Oh, and MOST (but not all ) people to whom the term applies will be able to use it with impunity because they are refering to themselves (look to rap music if you really need an example ). And they jwill usually be the fastest to take umbrage if you use it.

The fact that what I just said doesn’t make sense does not make it wrong.

:sad:

42. mattgoffriller says:

i don’t believe that words can be intrinsically bad, it depends upon whether the intent of use is harmful.

that said this was a brilliant video, HfW. your performances just keep getting better and more creative. congratulations on continually producing happy surprises!

43. My first choice was correct but I was so uncertain that I switched, lol. Well, maybe next time. That YouTube’s new feature’s really cool for the games now, Marina!

Kisses,
    Lucas.

44. donfelipegonzales says:

Dear teacher
    My memory says number 3.
    Wait and see.
    Amicalement,
    Don Felipe.

45. ghotioutofh2o says:

I don’t think it’s offensive, but it is a bit too general. When people use handicapped by itself, they’re usually referring to someone who’s crippled (which is easier to say, btw. ie: “Look, a cripple!” as opposed to “Look, a handicapper!” or more politically correct: “Look, a handicapped person!”). When they’re referring to someone who’s retarded (also easier to say!), they need to tack on a whole ‘nother word, which is rather inefficient: mentally handicapped. The whole political correctness mindset is stupid.

And did you get a haircut?

46. marylander says:

By the way, Happy Father’s Day to all of you fathers out there!

47. roadrunrnch says:

Hi Marina, Happy to see ya, Are You coming by to say Happy Daddy Day to all Your Daddys? :roll: You have like………10,000 Daddys WOW! :twisted:

48. weeder14 says:

Hi there Marina. Another top video!

Speaking as a person with a physical disability, I can say that I am not offended by either the tem disabled or handicapped. The only words that I do not like are crippled and invalid (in fact. look at the two words in that one).

Other words that I have herd to refer to people like me are differntly abled and handicappable.

49. bobsully says:

I don’t believe Handicap is a “bad word,” just a socially antiquated one. It’s a broad brush term which is at best very vague when used to describe a disability one may have in social interaction.

Disabilities should be accepted as normal and expected, not as abnormal or as unusual. Human differences can be accommodated without the stigmatism that are currently assigned by words.

Human differences should be addressed in a social structure that focuses on including all people, rather than drawing lines that separate us. We can do this as a society.

I like commenting here, not watching YouTube. :)

• pennsyltucky9 says:

Excellent observations, bobsully. I agree 100%.

• captainjack says:

I agree Bobsully. Many people have disabilities and not many people can see them. For example mental disabilities are a bit harder to detect.

I think even someone with great physical beauty can be a handicap. A good friend of mine almost committed suicide because she was having a hard time dealing how other women and men viewed her. She wanted to get into an accident thinking her disfigurement would make people stop taunting her and treat her as a normal person and not as a piece of meat.

My sister has wanted to get a breast reduction. Us guys might like large breast but for her its a bit of a pain for her physically. It would be nice to push a button on the keyboard and design a new look of our bodies to match our personality, wants, or needs. But until that day comes we have to live what we are given. Support each other in our disabilities and over come the problems that are associated with them. I have a friend who is partially paralyzed on his left side of his body and a lady friend that is using an electric wheel chair. Both are in the rank of Black Belts in karate and richly earned them. Have you ever had roll over your foot with a 300 lbs wheel chair pull you down and poke your eyes? I’m telling you it huts like hell. I don’t want to meet this woman in a dark alley!

50. opusrex says:

I knew the answer (#3), but deliberatly shose the wong ones twice to watch all the vids!
    :mrgreen:

51. basilio says:

Kinda like it… though I kinda feel awkward, being scolded by Ms. Marina and all haha

52. capman911 says:

That’s one way to get more subscribers on HotForWords site. Close down the comments on the Utube site. I think she might be trying to tell us regulars something. Like get lost or something. You hog the whole comments section or something like that. I hope I am wrong. :???:

53. deluca says:

Also I believe the word Handicap is not appropriate to address someone who has physical disabilities. Calling them handicapped would refer to them receiving a handicap. I think that disabled is the more appropriate term.

• Marina says:

deluca, but I’ve heard that disabled is not well received sometimes as well.

• pennsyltucky9 says:

I agree that many people with disabilities of various types are sensitive about their public self-image or about the nature of their specific ailment, and this is something only they can fully understand so it requires some care and sensitivity on the part of others to respect that and refer to it according to personal preference. Even so, I find it easiest to describe my condition as “partially disabled” because that’s exactly what the government agency that rates Workers Compensation cases calls it. Presently, it seems to be the description that fits best, and requires the least clarification. But I can only speak for myself on this issue.

• captainjack says:

What disable people need to learn is to have the right attitude. Just look at Jay ($7 million guy). This man has the right attitude towards the disability. Funny guy, with a fantastic attitude. Or look at my friend Vincent. He has lost use of his whole left side of his body and has a black belt in karate and I heard he just got married. He has a great outlook with the terms. It is what it is, a description.

( Hey Vince! If your reading this and I know you are! When I do my retarded impression its the left hand is limp and drooling on the right side. So there! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Love ya man!)

• annuddermale says:

which is why we hear the “challenged” PC terms…visually-challenged, physically-challenged, mentally-challenged…

me?…i’m old-fartsically-challenged…i have ol’ farts’ syndrome… :cool:

54. deluca says:

Hello my teacher!
    Just came by to tell you how I really liked this new game of yours!
    And I also have a word…
    Xenophobia
    Where did the word Xenophobia come from?

55. gio.forever says:

Do you guys remember this question ?

WHO IS THE OWNER OF THE FISHES ???

Ok, ok finally i must tell you all.

Norwegian…….Why ? Hmmm, well is very simple and very difficult to explain at the same time. but the answer is it. Congratulations to who did it taking less time. :grin:

• micheldiego says:

Everybody solved it and everybody found the german.
      Dude, this is funny, because the Norvegian is the one with the cat. If the cat eats the fish it’s OK, the Norvegian will have just one pet then.

• Hortence Freep says:

Yea. What he said.

BTW: Rojadirecta set me up in Japanese. I’ll try again when I’m loaded.
      Pax.

• captainjack says:

Gio, I respectfully request you show us your work. Please show us how you came up with the Norwegian. I might have made a mistake in my table. I usually do.

• gio.forever says:

Ok, I will show the table but I don’t imagine how to do it in this comment square :???: well, I will do it ok Captain Morgan.

• gio.forever says:

And I want you to show me your mathematical model and variables you used to get the German anwer, thanks buddy.

• captainjack says:

Like all scientist, one much show their work in order for others to reproduce the experiment in order to make an agreement of the results to be true.

The German has the fish and drinks coffee in the green house, which is fourth house on the block.

House 1 | House 2| House 3 | House 4 | House 5
        Yellow | Blue | Red | Green | White
        Norwegian | Dane | English | German | Swede
        Water | Tea | Milk | Coffee | Beer
        Dunhills | Blends | Pall Malls | Princes | Blumaster
        Cat | Horses | Birds | Fish | Dogs

And there you go… No math needed. Its pure logic.. :smile:

BTW don’t eat the bananas. They are radio active.

• gio.forever says:

4) The green house is placed in the inmediatily house to the left from the white house

• gio.forever says:

white house / ? color house / green house…..
        thats the order :)

• gio.forever says:

Ok, In spanish when I say “Next” it doesn’t exactily means “Forward”
        nono, it really means “Near”. Ok, then it can be “Forward” or “Previous”
        Alright ?

• gio.forever says:

4)La casa verde es la inmediata de la izquierda de la casa blanca

• captainjack says:

Well if you where speaking Spanish then you might be right. But the puzzle is in English with English rules of language.

I showed my work please show yours. :grin:

• pagedoll says:

Yes!!! I said the Norwegian guy! Can you belive I was right? I can’t. From my spelling to my sentence structure you’d think I’d have no chace. Although, when I was in fourth grade I was given an IQ test because I just did not want to do any school work, the results, 135. I guess smarts show themselves in many different ways. :smile:

• gio.forever says:

Yes, amigo, Peishdol :grin: that is the answer

• captainjack says:

PageDoll, And I thought I was being picked on by the school. I scored 136 and was accused of day dreaming. I was put on detentions more times than I can count. They even put me in Special Education (SpEd)( Not the kind for smart kids). My parents did not allow me to do any experiments with toy chemical kits because they thought with the toy kit I could blow up the whole house. I did get a toy electronic set. After doing all the experiments I took it apart to make new stuff and was beaten by my step mom and grounded for a month of no TV or having friends over. Yea my step mom is pure concentrated evil.

Thats cool you scored 135. I like hanging around smart people. They challenge my mind and I don’t get so bored with converstations. :mrgreen:

You know Albert was not that great at math. Nor his sense of direction. He would often get lost trying to get home from school.
        He was quoted saying, “Why try to memorize something when one can just write it down?” I think thats what he said. I wrote it down somewhere and lost the note. hehehehe

• Warren says:

It was the German dude, remember?
      Or are you stumped by the answer: Don Corleone

56. capman911 says:

A new bar joke

Two buddies, Bob and Pennsyltucky, are getting very drunk at a bar when suddenly Bob throws up all over himself.
    “Oh, no… Now my wife will kill me!”
    pennsyltucky says, “Don’t worry, pal. Just tuck a twenty in your breast pocket and tell your wife that someone threw up on you and gave you twenty dollars for the dry cleaning bill.”
    So they stay for another couple of hours and get even drunker.
    Eventually Bob stumbles home and his wife starts to give him a bad time. “You reek of alcohol and you’ve puked all over yourself! MyGod, you’re disgusting!”
    Speaking very carefully so as not t O slur his words, Bob says, “Nowainaminit, I can e’splain everythin. Itsh snot wha jewthink. I only had a cupla drrrinks. But thiss other guy got ssick on me…he had one too many and he juss koudin hold hizz liquor He said hes was verrry sorry an’ gave me twennie bucks for the cleaning bill!”
    His wife looks in the breast pocket and says, “But this is forty bucks..”
    “Oh, yeah… I almos’ fergot, he shhhit in my pants, too.” :lol: :lol:

57. capman911 says:

Well if handicap is such a bad word then there is going to be a lot of sign changes in front of stores in their parking lots. And a new law would have to be wrote about parking there if you’r not hadicapped. The signs people hand on their mirrors would have to say something different. As Bob replyed earlier ( I quote him ) there are not bad words just bad people. That was one of the best videos I have seen you do with the interaction parts. I like to see more of lessons like that.

• capman911 says:

We are all handicapped in one form or another. Just look at our spelling and typing. :lol: :lol:

• geronimo says:

That’s for sure. I just made a long speech down below and decided to proof read it AFTER I Submitted it. :oops: :oops: Won’t do that again. Actually, I probably will.

• annuddermale says:

speak for yourself, capman…i type perfeclty elwl… :wink:

• Marina says:

I like the “a new law would have to be wrote” :-)

• pennsyltucky9 says:

Whenever I hear someone describe me or somebody else as “crazy,” I always say, “Okay, then. Point to someone who’s sane.” The funny thing is, no one ever points to his or her self. In fact, there’s usually an extended silence while they contemplate the relativity of such a judgement and come around to realizing there are only varying degrees of sanity from which to select.

• captainjack says:

I had a gal that would not go out with me because of my poor grammar and spelling skills. I guess the internet chat room is not the place to find a date. I talked to my sister about it and she said you wouldn’t believe how important good grammar is. I guess I’m non-date able. I guess thats just too bad. My great bedroom skill will go to waste. :roll:

@ Teacher. Don’t you know Capman is Retarded handicap? Oh wait… Oh thats your job hu? :grin:

• Bob says:

Sorry, Capman,
      You misquoted me.
      What I said was, “There are no bad words, only bad ATTITUDES.”
      Everyone has bad attitudes at times, but that doesn’t mean we are bad people. It just means we are human and need to try harder to have the right attitude.

58. cyric91 says:

Hello my teacher,

I’d like to request the origins of the words Cunnilingus and Fellatio. You could easily come up with a fitting title like “Going Down?” :grin:

59. iceiyian says:

I’m making a game called, “Elements of War”. So… “War”? Also, how about the word, “Gank”? (:

60. mikiroony says:

As I posted on Youtube, I don’t think “handicapped” is a bad worth.

I didn’t get the A either: first I made a mistake :roll:

61. maheez09 says:

i do not think i get an a, i had to guess at all of them before getting the right answer.

as for the homework, i think it is a sad thing when we people categorize one another. we all are human, we all have differences, and that is what makes this place called earth such a wonderful world. but, i do not know if it is necessarily a bad thing to dub someone with disabilities “handicapped”. i am sure doctors use it in their field all the time.

62. tayljim says:

WOW, great video, a perfect five stars
    (that Kobe is one lucky dog)
    in todays PC world there are many
    words that are used daily that some
    consider taboo

63. Warren says:

Marina,
    I went to your YouTube site and watched all of the videos- LOVE IT!
    So we get 4 shows for the price of one ticket, great!
    I had to answer all 3 just so that I could see how it worked and then I watched them all over again just to watch you.
    Great idea Marina.
    But does this mean that you show can’t be downloaded anymore? :cry:
    Homework: I’m always offending people so it doesn’t matter what answer I give- I’ll piss someone off. So- No Comment.
    Thanks Marina

• Warren says:

Good morning BillyB.
      Yes the vote is in.

• BillyB says:

G’day Warren, just sent the groomsmen (stayed overnite at our house) home to Vancouver this AM.
        My daughter leaves on her honeymoon trip today… fun day yesterday, my only day to be FOB (Father of Bride). Managed to hold it together all day, but wept like a baby in the shower, All good today though.

• captainjack says:

Oh wow Billy! It finally happened. :mrgreen: You gave away your daughter. Wow the time flies. Your a stronger man than I am. I would have wept like a baby during the ceremony. But being the man that I am I would have given the Tim Allen touch and cried over a PA system with 5.1 Dolby surround..

Congrats Bill…

• BillyB says:

You know what, it pi$$es me off that you have a comment that says, no comment.
      I was affraid to check options #’s 1&2 because I was so right on guessing, I mean knowing #3 was right. What happened when you clicked #1&2. Did you notice how reluctant Kobe was to go on camera, I don’t think he likes his hair cut yet.

• Marina says:

Nice BillyB! Poor dog!!!! :-)

• Warren says:

Funny.
        I should have wrote pi$$ too, I’m tired, sorry Marina.
        Congratulations BillyB on you your new son.
        Memories don’t wash away with tears in the shower.

• BillyB says:

Hi Marina, My niece does dog shows with her grandma’s Border Collies. She says the dog shows are just like in the movie Best n Show , which is a hoot BTW.

• Marina says:

Best in Show is SUCH a funny movie! The announcer who doesn’t know what to say is the best!

• captainjack says:

Billy, I didn’t have a clue on that one and I clicked on all of them before I found the right one. I should have put more thought into it. But then I still would have had to watch every video. So I guess I did right by guessing wrong.
        I noticed something. Fewer comments or discussion (this website) about the current lesson. I love the new YT feature and plan on using it for my class room instruction in the future. But its seems to take away from our blogging a bit and generates more work for Marina. Any thoughts on this?

64. BillyB says:

7milliondollarman still first place, #2 gaining ground! If we vote vote vote He should keep first place. Contest ends Tomorrow , me thinks.

65. beness2k7 says:

Hey, Marina, great video (as usual!) :wink: On the second answer one where you turn away from the camera and put your hand on your face… wow!

Anyway, I think that the words we use for immobile people are fine. :grin:

Also, I have a word request… Annihilation!

-Thanks,
    Ben

66. superdanilchik says:

Dorogomilaya Marino4ka…even this time it was really difficult to find something false or wrong but the right one is definetely #3.I personally do agree with nighteye,words become bad when accompanied by a bad attitude,however in my opinion the word handicaped has acquired a derogatory connotation in everyday speech,in my mother tongues and in English too,i think. The best way to refer to a disabled person should be ”differently able”…

• geronimo says:

It will only be a matter of time before that phrase is considered bad also. The whole reason handicapped came in usage was because people didn’t like the word crippled. People get to hung up on words. They are angry over their situation and when they hear the word used to describe it they make that word a curse. They think by coming up with a new term will make things better, but a new generation of handicapped people come around that were raised with that word and think of it as a curse. It’s a cycle that will continue as long as people fall for this whole P.C. thing. Everyone has handicaps whether natural or by accident, we all have them. I could never win a basketball game against a professional, unless he spotted me a 100 point’s. Does this make me less of a person? Only in size.

67. pedantickarl says:

Hello my Dear Teacher,

I kindly request the etymology of the word ‘sabbath’.
    What does it have to do with a bath? Is it related to the old joke
    where one refers to taking a bath once a week on Saturday?

If you decide to present us with a wonderful video, could you
    demonstrate the taking of a bath on Saturday? I promise I won’t
    look… OK, maybe with just one eye, my bad one. :oops:

Thank you kindly. (Hinting at teacher’s pet)

.k.

68. Bob says:

There are NO “Bad” words.
    Only Bad Attitudes.

69. nighteye says:

Nice video, as usual ;)

But now I have another word request, a word that really has me puzzled: “inundate”. On the surface it seems to be composed of “in” “un” and “date”, as if it is supposed to mean “not not a specific day” – and yet it means something completely different.

Care to investigate? :smile:

70. palopalacz says:

Awesome idea with that annotations tool :wink: I hope it isn’t your last video with it :mrgreen:

I’m interested in word “FORTNIGHT”… Where did it come from? Why there is “night” and what “fort” means in this case? Can you investigate?

71. alexwest says:

I have a word request but may not be able to do it, I heard the word f**k was a legal term, what did it mean legally and how did it become a curse word?

72. phil_safc says:

We were told at school that handicap is a bad word, and told to use disabled.

I picked the two wrong ones first. :mrgreen:

73. DrakeMagnum says:

I still do not really understand how this hand in cap game came to be synonymous with disabled. I don’t see the link between a game of chance and a person with a handicap.
    The interactive YouTube video combo was very swell otherwise Marina. I hope you keep it up.

74. pedantickarl says:

Marina,
    The interactive video is fantastic. I caught the teddy bear, which means I got it right. :wink:

I saw you on Lisa’s broadcast. You were absolutely gorgeous and adorable live. The nicest person I have never met. I am waiting and I
    have ticket number 77,627. Thanks for throwing kisses at us.

Here are two small screen shots of the party.
    Marina, Kobe, Lisa
    Marina throws kiss

.k.

75. sidewinter says:

In my country (Romania) sometimes people use “handicapped” as a swear word when insulting other people (without any physical handicap) dunno if this happens in other countries or not.
    But when talking about a human condition I don’t find the word beeing “bad” :mrgreen:

76. okay4now says:

That didn’t seem to work, either here or at u-T. :sad:

77. tanathos23 says:

i think that every word can be “bad”, it depends the way you use it

i think origin number 1is the correct

i’m sorry if what i say doesn’t make sense, but right now i’m drunk and there’s nothing better thatn listenning to my favourite teacher while i’m getting ready to go to bed

thank’s for everything Marina.

78. 818gregd says:

I think it’s number 3. Being handicapped, I don’t find the word to be offemsive or demeaning at all.

I would like toknow the origin of takn with a grain of salt, such a magazine artice, or what someone says.

79. Qermaq says:

Every word can be loaded if we try.

Take the word “niggardly” for example. It’s a totally regular word that no one dares use anymore because it sounds too much like “nigger”. I could describe a handicapped person in any terms you choose and still be derisive if I chose to.

Words are not the problem. Attitudes are.

• 818gregd says:

Very true. I’ve always foubd through my esearch on the Civil War, if you look long enouph, ventually you’ll finrd something tha proves one’s assertion.

• 818gregd says:

It depends on a person’s attitude and reasoning ability. A profoundly wetarded person cannot even recognize the fact that they are handicapped. There are those who have been in accidents, like the war in Irag, that may force the person into a wheel chair. Just as someone close to us dies, handicapped people go through the stages of grief as well.

80. ekkoe says:

I guessed 3, and was right. I had no idea though :P Just took what felt logical.

Anyways, I don’t think the word “handicap” is offensive, and nor is “disabled”. I think few disabled people actuallly have a problem with it, because they ARE disabled. They have a physical deficiency with which they lurned how to deal. Being offended by a word that discribes that fact is much like a homofile being offended by being called one.

I missed teacher’s pet in this movie though -.-

81. shawnmnorris says:

For all those who don’t know and haven’t been fortunate of knowing -do tell, Marina, about the etymology of http, html and other extensions of computer meanings and such like if you would be so benevolent!

Also: the meaning, origin, usage and date, etc. of benevolent….

82. micheldiego says:

Homework
    3) I prefer to be real (not disgusted or affraid, but real) so handicaped is OK and even preferable to the (in my mind) disgusting:
    differently abled, physically challenged, physically different, physically inconvenienced, handi-capable, uniquely abled, special, exceptional, involved, severly euphemized, gifted with physical disability, or even according to the American Hyphen Society: HIV positively wonderful, stufferrific, squintessentially great, veget-able, spas-tickety-boo.
    (found in my “politically correct handbook”)

83. micheldiego says:

Homework:
    2) My opinion is that what most matters is the conscience of the reality. Being aware of what is the problem, what are the consequences, is the only way to help, respect and admire what is other’s life and struggle. But without adding or taking out anything, with all the justice that anybody deserves. Let see now a diferent opinion:
    “People with special problems. When a young child sees someone else who is “different” in any way, he tends to stare, point, and ask quetions in a loud voice. It is embarassing for everyone involved, yet it is quite natural. He may be afraid that the difference he sees in someone else could also happen to him. A parent should quiet a child who says ‘look at the funny man”, gently and reassuringly and explain, “I will tell you about it later”. The parent should then remember to discuss it later with his child, and explain about peole who have handicaps and physical difficulties in life. The parent should teach that the person with the thick glasses guiding himself with a cane is a very brave person ….” The Vanderbilt complete book of etiquette.
    I’m sorry Amy but a child is never surprised by anything, because as he discovers life, he does not know yet that elephant don’t fly or people always (or almost) are “normal”. It is you the one who seams to be affraid or disgusted or both, and will learn children to be affraid or disgusted with your etiquette leasons.

84. micheldiego says:

Homework:
    1) This word shows how language evolve. When it was first used at the begining of the last century (in the meaning of disability) it was a very politicaly correct word. In an attempt to get rid of “cripple” and other “freaks” some decided to use a word whose meaning was: equalize chances when some disadvange exists. So in the begining “handicaped” was extremly positive. It was a way to say that if two diferent horses with diferent capacities can run together, we can live together. But today the word has itself earn the status of “creep” or “freak”, and some need to find a new “politicaly” correct word. Maybe Handicap will be repaced, etc etc etc….

85. shawnmnorris says:

I know that in the Hebrew and Greek languages there are meanings to some of the letters, but what about all the letters of every language? Beth means house, nun means fish, ‘ayin means spring, alpha means first, iota means a very small part of anything (figuratively) and omega means the last or the end and vice versa with Alpha – have you any clue as to what the english letters, numbers and other such things mean and would you say there’s even a such thing as omnilinguality or omnilingualness meaning the ability to know every and speak every language fluently? Is there a meaning to and for everything I wonder? ………………. :lol: :razz: :smile:

86. Daniel says:

i got the correct answer at the 3rd attempt, not bad :razz:

87. micheldiego says:

Hi teacher, I look for the oldest mention of handicap and found this:
    Pepys diary 1660: ‘To the Miter tavern, in Wood Street, a house of the greatest note in London. Here some of us fell to handicap, a sport that I never knew before.’

88. What a fantastic question. It brings up a lot of differing answers, which can all be right. What I mean is, since everyone has a different barometer for what is acceptable and what is not, any of the varying answers will be correct to one.

Me personally, I feel that handicapped can be a bad word. I have heard people use it in very vindictive ways. I also feel disable can be bad. It just sounds worse when said to describe a person. I can’t imagine saying, “You’re disabled.” or “Oh, that’s Johnny the disabled guy.” being any better than saying handicapped.

On the other hand, words only are hurtful if you give them that power. When I was little, I was teased a lot and it took a long time for me to realize that words only hurt if you let them. Please don’t misunderstand, I’m not condoning someone saying hurtful things, but there are times when not letting words have that much power is a better path.

89. shawnmnorris says:

How come you haven’t done your screen name – hotforwords?

90. shawnmnorris says:

Try out mellifluous and consternation (which aren’t polar opposites, but I like them nonetheless) I think your voice is the former and I don’t have any of the latter when listen to it. :wink:

91. shawnmnorris says:

How is and what does the process of making an English word in the English language formulate or come into being, existence, usage? How is a word constructed to become an actual part of the English language I mean? :?: Is it due to suffixes, prefixes, roots, all of the above, or do you know? Also how are all the letters plotted to become any kind of meaning at all to become constructed as an actual concept or thought? What I mean is – how is there any meaning in words at all – how do any letters, numbers, words, names – you name it have any meaning whatsoever or all they all meaningless? ………I think not.

92. shawnmnorris says:

Sagacious is a word and means wise or sagely – I wonder ponderingly where it came from and I would even venture to ask you it’s origin, date, and when words go out of date (become obsolete) :?: . Investigate as you say.

BTW: you look like you could be a mother some day in this video up top – I don’t care what the others say – that’s a big compliment to you from me.

93. the shaun says:

My personal definition of handicap is “To have, or to be put at Disadvantage”

Disabled persons are at a disadvantage when compared to someone without the handicap. In sports, they’re used to give other players an advantage.

94. bernhard says:

Must be 2

95. rybread6 says:

being quadriplegic, I prefer disabled. Handicapped sounds more than just physical. Differentl-Abled would straight up insult me. I’m not different abled, there are parts of my body that just don’t work and disabled works just fine. But that’s just one gimps opinion.

96. shawnmnorris says:

Also I would like to know more about the word mollify – to pacify or to render abated or calmed. I would also like to know more about the origin of what you are – pulchritudinous! :mrgreen:

97. shawnmnorris says:

What is the origin and meaning of your name, Marina? Is it actually Russian or is it something to another affect? I’m sure it has a deeper meaning than we both think it means – you and I should delve a little more closely into this and find its true meaning.

98. labbatt78 says:

I think it’s nice to have an interactive game. It was cool. No, I don’t think handicap is a bad word

99. ricke2289 says:

I do not think Handicap is a bad word, I feel like it has lost most of its derogatory connotation. I feel the same way about Disabled. I do, however, think that instead of using disabled we could use “Differentl-Abled”

100. tamcajb says:

Where does the word “nipple” come from, and does it have anything to do with the verb “nip” (as in to nip something in the bud)?

101. jacklawrence says:

“I have a bone to pick with you”

102. sniperskaya says:

Marina, had to go to youtube for the interactive application to work, the three choices didn’t show up here. Isn’t technology great?

103. joecalifornia says:

Hi Marina,
    I would like to request a word. Gravity… Thanks!

104. presumined says:

Hola Marina,

Pretty sure that was a pic of Henry VII you used when you said: “Henry VIII”. Henry VIII was very distinctive and that wasn’t him :D

Kisses

105. geronimo says:

That was so coool! I love that so much better than waiting the next day for the answer. I was wrong twice but that’s ok, it was fun, and no Marina I did not click the button until the very end. Will you be able to make this sight interactive as well? I hope so. 6 Stars!! I do not believe that handicap should be an insult. A person with a physical disability IS handicapped to a certain degree and they are only fooling themselves to say otherwise. The people who complain about such words are the same people who are the loudest complainers when an unauthorized car is parked in a HANDICAPPED parking space, or if a building doesn’t have a wheelchair ramp. If your not handicapped, then take the stairs. There is nothing wrong with being handicapped and nothing wrong with the word.

106. roadrunrnch says:

O NO Marina you are bring Utubers here?? Handicap means : less then and before all the MILITANT HANDICAP NAZIS GET ALL LIKE THAT ! I am Handy-cap, (Bilateral lung transplant) And I am not as good as a healthy Man. But now I work on this damn PC to stay busy. You just live with your Handicaps and go no. STOP WHINNING.

mARIna ARE YOU CRAZY?? youtubers will get lost, open your comments on YOUTUBE>; pleeeeeaaaase. hey chacha she does listen to Us …about kobe at least.

107. roachmeistercom says:

Ok, this is MUCH better way to play the game! Instant gratification!

Love it. :grin:

108. roadrunrnch says:

At least we know kobe is still alive. can we pick none of the above? They all sound silly.

109. ArgonTheAware says:

I loved the 3 answer videos, I didn’t know you could do that with annotations it opens up a lot of possibilities for different kinds of stories.

110. lcl4 says:

What is the origin of cup sizes for bras?

Larry

• geronimo says:

Different sized boobs

• lividemerald says:

They are called cup sizes because most women don’t have enough to measure in pints or quarts. Of course, in England, women follow the liter.

• captainjack says:

Wow the comment box died for about 6 hours. I cleared my cache, rebooted, relog in and I still could not comment. Now its working fine. Damn technology!! Why can’t people design stuff that just works?
      Anywho here is my old post:

Humm interesting question which I have no clue. Which brings me into a question how is a mans sports cup come about? Is there a relation to a womans bra term ‘cup’? I use a groin cup for karate and they are sized ‘Small, Med, Large’ There are also womens groin cups. Sizing terms are the same ‘Small , Med & Large’ but are shaped much different. Which I’m puzzled that there are A – D+ sizes in bra cups.

• capman911 says:

Jack an A or A- is a pirates delight. A sunken chest. Or a carpenters dream, flat as a board. :lol: :lol: Now the D part is just more to play with :smile:

111. roachmeistercom says:

Why did it go to slow motion at the end?

112. dale_jr_fan_88 says:

I’d like to know where the word “Welcome” came from. The latest video was very cool :!: I like trying to guess the answer. Plus, I get to see :shock: more of you :!:

113. murdoc129 says:

I like this new kind of videos, and I will insist I wanna request the word HOSPITAL and as melikadothechacha said how is related with HOSPICE. And by the way you look amazing in this video.

114. goober1 says:

yea i would like to know where the word Bra comes from too!

115. jeremy280 says:

id like to know where the word BRA comes from!

116. tamcajb says:

What’s the origin of the phrase “Go fly a kite.” How did that become a way to tell someone off?

117. kaibanator says:

damn, was sooo close :D

I personally don’t find the term handicapped as offensive to referring that as a disabled person. Unless when people deliberately use handicapped as a negative thing (example : teasing people). Cripple often falls in the same ‘teasing’ category.

I think the term “invalid” would be more offensive to a disabled person. As it makes the person sound like they are completely useless, when in most cases they are far from it. If anything people should be more inspired after knowing disabled people, and seeing how well they can adapt to life, regardless of their disability.

great video by the way marina. The changes you have made to the quality of your recent videos, they look fantastic!! Well done :mrgreen:

• melikadothechacha says:

“What’s your handicap?” is ok to ask a duffer, bowler or jockey.
      If you say this to an un-disabled person, it translates as:
      “What’s your major malfunction?” Clearly, the intent is

to insult a person’s intelligence or ability, so this use
      is definitely offensive. If you can imagine somebody
      saying WYH, in that context, to a disabled person,
      you see the problem clearer.

A golden rule:
      Try to treat people like gold.
      then, If they treat you like sh*t,
      you don’t HAVE to treat
      them like gold anymore.
      that “do unto others” rule
      doesn’t let you walk away
      from stupidness that can
      happen. If you are of a
      state of readiness and
      prepared mentally, then
      engage the stupidness.
      Seek to educate, not
      so much to ostracize.
      It’s hard even for me
      to remember all this
      when I need to, but
      i do my best :mrgreen:

• kaibanator says:

That’s a good point there melikadothechacha. I was born with a disability myself, but never really thought people saying ‘handicapped’ to be offensive. Then again, other people with disabilities, may find it more offensive. It just depends on the person :)

118. fadeintoyou77 says:

You’re hair looks particularly beautiful in this video, Marina- no extensions or anything :)
    I have to say that you’re looking especially radiant in your last two videos, kinda going back to an unadulterated, natural look.

I still think you were at your most lustrous around the time of your “flabbergasted” video though- your complexion and overall demeanour in that video was pretty much perfection whatever you were doing then. :)
    That look was amazing tbh.

Still, you have so many diverse looks it’s always interesting to see what you’ll do next :)

Got this wrong again BTW. :)

119. 2hotforwordsfanclub says:

Handicap or disabled aren’t bad words, it is the image that is created by the spin from the word.

Had a highly offensive word actually been an acronym of Western Oriental Gentleman despite being a terribly polite way of saying coloured person, I think the word would still be offensive. It is all about word perception. (There is no link between black and disabilities here I was referring to word perception))

Going back to disabilities admire people with disabilities that try to overcome them
    Django Reinhart one of the world’s best guitarists ever (1926) had 3 fingers on his left hand burnt off as a child.
    Lost a leg ? No one can do anything but admire this man.

120. augie says:

guess it right tha 2ed time im disabled war veteran i perfered tha use of disable it just sounds better tha handicap

121. stokesjrj1 says:

Well i guessed same as melikadothechacha, but her acting like a spoiled Paris Hilton does not a good video make. Just my personal opinion .

• melikadothechacha says:

I guess you could draw that from what you saw.
      What I saw was a different take. I have seen
      Paris Hilton “act” on nightvision. Trust me,
      her expression NEVER changes. Spoilt.
      Marina just got her puppy and (i think)
      was innocently “jazzing” with him for us.
      [I just thought your comparison was
      a little harsh. Marina is into a Barbie
      Fashion world where cars, computers
      and telephones are likely to be pink.
      Not into the Barbie mindset, mind you,
      just the whole girly-girl thang. :mrgreen:

Paris does make it look bad, don’t she?
      …and what happened to Nicole Ritchie?
      It’s like Sears and Roebuck…

122. lvecsey says:

I got to video #3 on the first try by ruling out the other choices as follows: I figured I would have heard of explanation #1 about the jockey hand positioning already if it were really true, so I skipped that one. For explanation #2 it seemed like you didn’t research that one enough so maybe it was less important, so I ruled that one out too and went for the last one that was still kind of similar to it.

When talking about physically challenged people I stopped using the word handicap a few years ago, but I still use it to describe the blue-lined parking spots. Those will always be handicapped spots!

Cool use of the new features! And an interesting idea to send all comments here. I couldn’t help but watch the entire first video up to the slow motion part. Maybe leave something extra there for these types of vids to interact with.

Sorry this is long but I couldn’t help but think as I was waiting there with the last three options, that this was essentially the ‘current take’ on what interactive CD media was all about back around 1995.

123. trikerskip says:

I would guess it to be #3

124. 3vanj@m3s says:

That was fun. YAY. :grin:

125. Dannye600 says:

I guessed it right the first time… lucky!

126. melikadothechacha says:

She threw her toy at us! :shock:
    Marina sure called that one! :mrgreen:

Guessed 2 first, wrong
    threw me back to one, again
    fast fwd to guess #1
    WRONG! back to one, again
    FINALLY picked #3
    1 for 3 – ow! :???:

I got a laugh when she
    chucked the toy at the
    camera – she knows us, boys.

The whole interactive thing
    is ok, different, . It does
    compel Marina to have
    only one answer, instead
    of two or three correct.

Homework: Handicapped
    As it applies to disablility
    I identify people as being disabled
    and their disability as a handicap.
    Handicap parking, Handicap access,
    acceptable as used.

I only get to play golf sporadically
    so I do not fully understand how
    that works. I did a bowling league
    thing for awhile. The first night
    you play to determine your
    bowling handicap.

Horses? Handicaps
    I’ve noticed are for first timers,
    first time on turf, dirt. They
    also get handicaps based on
    the meds horses are taking.
    They tell you the drug name
    and how long on it. Guess they
    have to keep the hard chargers
    mellow between races? :roll:

127. pagedoll says:

Pretty good. Pretty,pretty good. :grin:

128. nw2394 says:

“This video is interactive.. you need to watch it on YouTube to be able to use the interactive features”

Yeah – that’s all very well. I watch on your site. I don’t want to see the same thing twice.

With regard to whether “handicapped” is a bad word. No. When I was at school years ago teachers wrote on the “blackboard”. But then we weren’t allowed to call it a blackboard anymore because some lefty twits felt that it offended black folks. Well sorry – the boards were black and no offence was intended. If other folks behave with a chip on their shoulder about it that is their problem. Same applies to handicapped.

Nick

• melikadothechacha says:

I remember green “blackboards”!
      Now they have whiteboards, acetic
      based felt markers – easy wipe up.
      What’s next? Your right about the twits,
      a little tooo sensitive.
      Did you ever notice when a commitee
      is formed in Congress, to solve a
      “problem”, the result is always
      more undesirable than the “problem”?
      AND results in creating real problems.
      Once they’re done, do they disband?
      As a team would after a job well done?
      OH NO! They go on to “solve” more
      “problems”?
      I wouldn’t mind but for the waste.
      Hoiw much are we going to take?
      You can’t do anything about it,
      even if you wanted to.
      An example: tobacco taxes
      smokers are taxed more than
      anybody. Who represents them?
      make that law constitutional?
      good luck – pure hypocrisy.
      but sensitive people “don’t like”